• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

General Gandin

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
by pg » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:41 am

What did he win his Iron Cross for doing, and prior to the heroic but ill fated stand on Cephalonia what did he get up to in WW2?

--------------

by Lupo Solitario » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:52 am

Antonio Gandin

born 1891, infantry lieutenant 1910, silver medal in WWI.
Entered in staff services in 1917.
December 1st, 1940, becomes Chief of Operation Bureau of Italian Supreme Command directly under Cavallero and rest there until Cavallero's fall.
Named commander of 33rd Infantry Division Acqui June 20th, 1943

I suppose his Iron Cross is a consequence of his close relation with german commands during his supreme staff service.

(there's a spread legend about his service on the Russian front, I believe it's a legend due to a name similarity)

------------

by FB » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:18 pm

Yes, Lupo, IIRC the "almost similar" Italian General was Gen. GANDINI (with a final "I").

Best regards

---------

by GLADIVM » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:31 pm

Lupo ,

I am interested to know more about Gandin career , I have read that
after 1937 he was in the secretarial office of Badoglio, do you know if this is true?

Also has been said that he was moved to command of Division Acqui in June 43 because he was considered to be too much pro-German, what is your opinion about it?

When was he promoted to a Major General?

Thanks for any help

Yours

GLADIVM