• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Great coat

Ironmaiden2000

Progress of great coat so far. Made by Creative Trade Impex India . (Facebook) Trying to get the buttons to match the coat. Something feels too dark to me. Thoughts gents?
received_228200936362517.jpeg
received_1660072841097107.jpeg

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
The cut and general shape look good, but the wool color appears too grey. Getting g-v right is difficult. When I was reenacting, I used an original cappotto.

RE: Buttons. This is the type of buttons you need. Buttons These are the small button for the pockets, cuffs, and shoulder straps. You need the larger size for the coat closure. They do crop up on Ebay, so you will need to search.

Pista! Jeff

Ironmaiden2000

The cut and general shape look good, but the wool color appears too grey. Getting g-v right is difficult. When I was reenacting, I used an original cappotto.

RE: Buttons. This is the type of buttons you need. Buttons These are the small button for the pockets, cuffs, and shoulder straps. You need the larger size for the coat closure. They do crop up on Ebay, so you will need to search.

Pista! Jeff
As cringe as it is. Hikishop sells them even if they might be plastic. I might end up buying those as the tailor said those buttons wouldn't work. I am assuming since they are pegged shaped you simply wrap it around thr back with thread?

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
The buttons are sewn on like a button with a loop. They have a hole through stem.
ButtonBack.jpg

Ironmaiden2000

The buttons are sewn on like a button with a loop. They have a hole through stem.
View attachment 1230
Forgive me for neceoing a thread. However a question came up on my head. The coat got delivered to my house while away on a training exercise. I'm going to get the hikishop buttons so it at least looks more accurate. However I was thinking what is the appropriate measurement for a greatcoat gorget? This website has what I need and says this. https://www.warmilitaria.it/en/coll...egion-m-guard-of-the-duce-for-coat-18x65.html I'd rather be right on the placement as well if I'm going for a easten front impression

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Ironmaiden2000

By gorget do you mean mostrine (which is what the website shows)? No mostrine was worn on the cappotto collar, only the Savoia stars or fascist fascio.

RE: Eastern Front. Note that the gruppo «Tagliamento» was not originally formed by battaglioni M. They were awarded that title only after seeing combat in Russia. If that is your impression, you need to consider the timeframe of your impression. I am not sure whether the battaglione M insignia was worn on the cappotto or whether only the simple fascio.

Pista! Jeff

Ironmaiden2000

Ironmaiden2000

By gorget do you mean mostrine (which is what the website shows)? No mostrine was worn on the cappotto collar, only the Savoia stars or fascist fascio.

RE: Eastern Front. Note that the gruppo «Tagliamento» was not originally formed by battaglioni M. They were awarded that title only after seeing combat in Russia. If that is your impression, you need to consider the timeframe of your impression. I am not sure whether the battaglione M insignia was worn on the cappotto or whether only the simple fascio.

Pista! Jeff
Not sure why I called them gorgets my bad. It's looking like any fascist paramilitary used the fasces on their groatcoat collars. Which unless I can find documents on pinning i will have to assume its centured on the collar and straightened out. Thanks for the input