• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Help deciphering Italian WW2 dog tags

LukeABR

I'm in possession of two Italian WW2 dog tags that were carried by a U.S. Marine aboard a ship transporting Italian POWs during the war. Would I be able to get any help deciphering the writings on it or even finding out anything about the soldiers they belonged to?

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Post a clear picture of the tags or write a line by line what is on the tags.

Knowing more about the soldato beyond what the tags provide is unlikely unless you are a relative.

LukeABR

B4C9778F-1C77-4491-8B55-0B41EF7820EB.jpeg
58209860-9396-4EE5-A2CF-3F2BAFD30E7B.jpeg

LukeABR

Thank you for your response! I’ve just posted the photos. Please let me know if they aren’t clear enough. Any information about what the tags say would be greatly appreciated!

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Okay the first tag.

1914 (conscription class- year of birth)

21469 (service number. These repeat each year so you need both the conscription class, service number, and military district to identify the soldier)
97 (the military district in which the individual was called up. 97 is Pola).
C (Catholic)

Gregorio di Fabbris (soldier's name)

Natale (di Fabbris - father's name)

Giustina (nee) Cherovattin (sp) (mother's name. The last name is very odd. It could be a Italian spelling of a Croatia name).
Corridico (town of birth)
Pola (province of town)

Last edited:

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Second tag

1917 (conscripts class)
750 (service number)
73 (military district Varese)

C or an O (Catholic or Orthodox. With the last name, could be Orthodox).

Amelio di Zola (soldier's name)
Pasquale (di Zola, father)
Maria (nee) Chinetti (mother)

Farago (town of birth)
Varese (province of of town)

LukeABR

Second tag

1917 (conscripts class)
750 (service number)
73 (military district Varese)

Amelio di Zola (solder's name)
Pasquale (di Zola, father)
Maria (nee) Chinetti (mother)

Farago (town of birth)
Varese (province of of town)

Thanks so much for your help! I couldn't find any town named Farago (only as a name did it return searches on Google) but it makes sense that both tags would have the last two rows dedicated to their birthplace. Could the last name be Zoia instead of Zola or do you think that's likely a typo on the tag?

Do you think there's any chance of finding out information about these two men from their time before or during the war, or is that a very long shot?

Thanks again for helping me understand the tags!

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
My bad. I read the name and immediately though of Zola. Yes it is Zoia which is also an Italian surname.

Farago is a puzzler. I haven't found such a town. Given the tag is for someone born in 1917, it could be a very small place that has since be absorbed. It might have never been incorporated as town or village but had a church to record the birth.

RE: history of the men. Relatives can request the military records of family members. You can try and contact the Stato di Archivio of the province to see if they will assist, but that might be also only family members. Pola is now part of Croatia, so I don't know where those records might be held. Church records are the best, but you would need to travel in person. Hiring a local researcher can be done.

I sense that these men are not important enough to go through all that trouble (not family).

LukeABR

I really appreciate all of your help. I found a man named Pasquale Zoia on LinkedIn that lives in Varese which is intriguing, but I probably won't take it further.

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
The only bit I can add is that Gregorio di Fabbris likely served in 1935-36 (21st birthday). He might have been recalled during WW2 if he left the service at the end of his 18 months service.

Amelio di Zoia likely served in 1938-39. He could have been retained on active duty or recalled if released.