• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Help with researching picture

desantii

Hello, Wanted to see if the is any insight into what uniform #3 is wearing (my grandfather) as well as any help on uniforms of 2 and 4? 1,5,6, and 7 seem just generic suits?

thanks

Attachments

• ruggero (2).jpg
    ruggero (2).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 634

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I was waiting to see if one our are more knowledgeable members would answer.

Your Nonno and #4 are wearing either Milizia Volontaria per la Sicurezza Nazionale (M.V.S.N.) or party uniforms (likely the former given the insignia on the shirts). The M.V.S.N. (better know as Blackshirts) was the volunteer militia of the Fascist party. Your Nonno might be a 1GM veteran given the number of ribbons and insignia on his uniform. He is wearing some type of wings and appears to have two merit promotion badges. The picture quality isn't good enough to determine much else.

Please note I am not well versed on M.V.S.N. uniforms and badges. Hopefully someone else can offer more.

#2 is wearing the pre-1933 army uniform. The poor condition of the photo prevents seeing his rank on his hat.

desantii

Thanks for the reply every bit of info helps. The pic is definitely pre 1940 as he then moved to Argentina

and yes on 1GM and the wings assume air force as that is what my grandmother had told us

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
You are welcome.

I would guess the picture is early 1930s, unless the officer (#2) is retired wearing his old uniform (I doubt this is the case, so taken before 1935 at the latest).

Last edited:

desantii

Here are some ribbons I found that were from my Nonno. Pretty sure picture is early 30s....and yes definitely M.V.S.N. and that I heard stories on

Attachments

• dcp_2086.jpg
    dcp_2086.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 566
Hi
The ribbons are undoubtedly related to what is commonly identified as the period of the Fascist Revolution (years 1922-1930) and are in my humble opinion from left to right a fascist war cross (blue and white), an honor for participating in the campaign of River (tricolor blue, yellow and red) and accompaniment and frieze for a fascist medal (it was accompanied by any medal with a fascist value) (white, red and green). Unfortunately for the rank badge I am very undecided because it would seem a rank of general lieutenant who compared to the ranks of the army was comparable to the rank of general of division but I could not find any division that had the color yellow and blue as a background. It would seem more probable that it is a grade from seniore or first seniore (equaled to colonel or lieutenant colonel of the army) belonging (related to the war period and no longer to the fascist revolution) to a Legion of extraction of the Tuscany Region that would justify the yellow colors and background blues. Unfortunately I can't be more precise on this
All the best
Maurizio