• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Information on # of Garments Issued?

Pendejo

Was wondering if anyone had information on what was actually issued to the Infantry, or regular troops. Number of socks, shirts etc.
And even if possible what troops would carry on Combat Missions regarding clothing. Hopefully taking into account the length of the mission (5 day patrol vs week long attack), and theatre of operation (hopefully Yugoslavia cause I've found little information).
Thanks in advance!
If it helps I could make more specific threads.

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Bongiorno Pendejo

Welcome to the forum. I had to remember where I had saved the information. Note this is a generic list and some of the items will change based on the specific corps to which the soldier is assigned (fanteria, alpine, bersaglieri, artiglieria, corazzata, etc.).

Asciugamani (bath towels) 2
Berretto rigido (rigid hat) 1
Borraccia (canteen) 1
Borsa per biancheria sporca (bag for diry clothing) 1
Bustina (garrison hat) 1
Calze di cotone (cotton socks) 3 paia
Camicie di cotone (cotton shirt) 3 paia
Cappa piccolo (small hood?) 1
Cintura per pantaloni (trouser belt) 1
Coppie di paletti da tenda (pair of tent stakes) 2
Cravatte di lana o di lino (cotton or linen tie) 3
Cucchiaio (spoon) 1
Distintivi di metallo per berretto da fatica (metal insignia for fatigue hat) 1
Distintivi di metallo per spalline (metal insignia per epaulet) 2
Documento di riconoscimento (identification document) 1
Fasce mollettiere (puttess) 2 paia
Fazzoletti (handkerchiefs) 3
Gavetta (messkit) 1
Giacca da parata (parade tunic) 1
Giacca di lana da fatica (wool fatigue tunic) 1
Giacca di lino (Linen tunic) 1
Giubbetto (jacket) 1
Guanti (gloves) 1 paio
Mostrine (collar insignia) 2
Mutande lunghe (long underwear) 1 paio
Mutande (underwear) 2 paia
Panciere (stomach wrap) 2
Pantaloncini da ginnastica (gymnastics pants PT) 1 paio
Pantaloni corti di lino (short linen pants) 1 paio
Pantaloni da parata (parade pants) 1 paio
Pantaloni di lana da fatica (wool fatigue pants) 1 paio
Pantaloni lunghi di lino (Long linen pants) 1 paio
Piastrina di riconoscimento (identify tags) 1
Sacchetto con necessario per pulizia (bag of necessary cleaning items) 1
Scarpe di tela (cloth shoes) 1 paio
Scatolette di lucido da scarpe (can of shoe polish) 1
Spazzola per capelli (hair brush) 1
Spazzola per scarpe (boot brush) 1
Stellette di metallo (metal stars) 3 paia
Stivaletti ankle boots) 2 paia
Tascapane piccolo (small haversack) 1
Telo tenda mimetico (camouflage tent section) 1
Zainetto (small pack) 1
Zaino (pack) 1

This is what was carried in the field by the fanti...
FantiDisplay1.jpg

Here is how it was carried once packed....
FantiDisplay4.jpg

Pista! Jeff

Pendejo

Thanks Jeff!

Also curious if there may have been any discrepancies or totally different kit issues between theatres. Would soldiers doing anti-partisan operations in Yugoslavia be lower down on the supply chain or receive less issued kit than someone in North Africa or someone else posted to Sicily?
Is there any information on what troops were requesting but could or could not receive due to the priority in supply of the theatre they were assigned to?

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Yes there were some differences in kit issued but no theater was lower than another on the supply chain in terms of basic equipment.

Is there any information on what troops were requesting but could or could not receive due to the priority in supply of the theatre they were assigned to?

Nothing due to priority. Winter clothing was a problem because it didn't exist. Distribution also caused problems.

Also curious if there may have been any discrepancies or totally different kit issues between theatres.

The alpini 2 ltr canteen was issued to troops in AS rather than the standard 1 ltr. The larger canteen was also issued at times for troops in Russia.

Troops in AS were authorized the uniformi coloniale, but not all troops received them as stocks were low. Troops in Sicily were also authorized the uniform.

Winter equipment beyond the standard issue was generally only for Russia.

Militia units generally had older equipment, but that is true of all armies.

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Hopefully taking into account the length of the mission (5 day patrol vs week long attack), and theatre of operation (hopefully Yugoslavia cause I've found little information).

There are pictures of patrols in Yugoslavia carrying only the borsa tattica (the small tactical haversack/backpack). Most anti-partisan missions were local patrols from garrison locations, so ammunition, food, and water were the important items. Possibly a pair of socks was carried but not a complete change of clothes.

Pendejo

I may start another thread as the subject of anti-partisan missions and patrols really interests me. Do you happen to have any pictures of the Panciere (stomach wraps)? I honestly have never heard of this thing, I'm guessing it was used to insulate your core? Is there pictures of soldiers wearing it?

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Google 'Regio Esercito Panciere" to see some examples. I have only seen one or two pictures of soldiers wearing them. Mainly a prewar thing for the 1GM that was rapidly abandoned when the second war started.

Yes, the idea was that it help to keep one warm.