• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Invasion: Malta

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I recently learned about a new war-game being developed by Legion Wargames. Titled Invasion: Malta, it covers the planned Operazione «C3» in 1942 and will offer both a 1940 and 1941 variant. The 1941 variant is a 'Malta instead of Crete' scenario. Also included is Leros 1943 as a separate game.
Invasion-Malta.jpg

You can read about it here:
https://www.legionwargames.com/legion_MAL.html

I have been exchanging e-mails with the developer and I feel that he has a pretty good understanding of the topic. I do have a few concerns, but as I became tangentially involved very late in the project, some things are beyond a simple change if required. I haven't see the counters or read the rules, so I can't offer much on how the game will play.

Wargames

I looked at the game but never bought it. The main obstacle to me is the 600 yard hex size (549 meter) which appears to have been arrived at by the range of the Italian 45mm mortar and the Lee-Enfield rifle. One does need to reduce hex sizes for Malta due to terrain changes, number of roads and limited landing sites not found in other games.

It makes for a very large map board and requires, in turn, precision down to very small details in order to be accurate and which places that part of the game in question. The designer probably should provide some comment on how he arrived at his unit values versus simply by his imagination. However, the game includes most all the combat variables. Just how accurately is the question. Other key factors would be Axis supply and British naval bombardment (Which would likely target Axis supply.). This invites air drops of supplies, the accuracy of which is inconsistent with a 600 yard hex. The designers correctly states one must win "in a few days" as, otherwise, the Axis won't win at all.

I designed a similar game for 1940 with 1,000 yard hexes on a battalion level. While the map became more manageable that way (versus 600 yard hexes or nearly four times as many) there were still very few landing sites for the Italians. Meanwhile, the British player has a map board with nothing on it. Here's a 1 km hex (1,094 yards) map game:

1709591185992.png

There are only six British infantry battalion game units on the entire board.

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Invasion: Malta hasn't been release (hopefully soon). I have it on preorder given my interest in Italian paratroops. I have exchanged emails with Vance, so have some sort of idea what the is doing.

RE: Unit strengths. While strength are initially determined by quantifiable factors (strength, weapons, etc.), subjective factors are introduced at the end (training, morale, etc.). Playetesting often is the final determinate for unit values.

I have many of the Malta games (including Island of Death) and larger hexes just don't do the situation justice. I am a bit concerned by the 8 hour turns as that might too granular for the level of action needed to reflect the fighting. How much is player decision and how much is the luck of the die? 8 hours feels like the designer attempting to reduce the number of turns. of course, I haven't seen the combat system, so I don't know if there are any 'mini turns' within the turn.

The real key is what the designer believes was possible. For example:

- Given the plan and the forces, I believe the invasion would be successful. Bad luck is the greatest threat to success.

- I feel that any intervention by the R.N. wouldn't be decisive and there would be a great possibility that a sortie wouldn't be attempted. Crete is a good example reflecting this issue.

- Much depends on the success of the initial airdrops (bad luck).

Just some thoughts.

Pista! Jeff

hammurabi70

I am a bit concerned by the 8 hour turns as that might too granular for the level of action needed to reflect the fighting.

TOO granular? I should've thought four hour turns would reflect the ability for command to influence the fighting in terms of Command Decision. Are you thinking in terms of daily reinforcements to different areas as a top level command input?

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
There are many decisions that are made at the tactical level that are executed within a period of 8 hours. The fact that Wargames' design is based on a battalion and below scale and the combat resolution is at that level means that there are many decisions that happen within that time span. Commitment of local reserves, initial maneuver plan, shifting of forces, air and artillery support, resupply, etc. Within 8 hours regimental and possibly divisional reserves could be committed if part of the plan. Or not depending on success/lack of.

With a 1km hex, you are looking at company/battalion level maneuver (IMHO) and the need to make appropriate decisions within the normal timeframe (1-2 hours). If using an 8 hour turn, all you are doing is making regimental/brigade size stacks with any combat modifiers and the combat is seen as encompassing a wide range of tactical decisions. Nothing wrong with that approach, but what mess with all those mirco-tactical decisions when they don't matter.

The reason to use smaller-size units and a larger map scale is to enable maneuver to be an important tactical decision. How you move your battalions to gain a tactical advantage is as important as the number of combat factors arrayed against the objective. If maneuver isn't important, use a small map scale and a larger time scale.

If one feels that an 8 hour turn is correct, then the better choice would be regimental-size units and larger hexes.

Just my opinion.

Pista! Jeff