• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Iron Arm Author

MMirarchi

Hi Everyone,

I have a question about the book Iron Arm: The Mechanization of Mussolini's Army, 1920-40. It's part of the Stackpole Military History Series. The author, John Sweet, was a United States Army officer who died on active duty in 1977. Can anyone provide information about him or his death?

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I once researched MAJ Sweet and found some information but didn't record what I had found. Tried to find it again but failed.

Last edited:

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, I now found some info. This is from the 'About the Author' paragraph in my first edition of Iron Arm published by Greenwood Press in 1980.

John J.T. (Tim) Sweet, a native of San Francisco, California, graduated from Berkeley high school in 1961. He then did undergraduate work at the University of california at Davis, where he came under the tutelage of Captain Sir Basil Hart and Professor Peter Paret, graduating in 1966. After another year in graduate school there, he was commissioned in the U.S. Army as a second lieutenant in military intelligence and eventually spent a year in Vietnam as an imagery interpretation section leader before returning to a similar post at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. In September 1970 he left the active army and joined the reserves. At the same time he rerolled in the MA program at San Jose State University, from which eventually emerged his first book, Mounting the Threat (1976) on the British campaign in Normandy. After receiving his MA, he enrolled in the doctrinal program at Kansas State Uiversity, receiving his degree in 1976. On 12 March 1978 Major Sweet was killed in an air crash in Arizona while on active duty once again with the U.S. Army.

IIRC, it was a helicopter crash. He studied under two great historians and K State had an excellent military history program (it still does).

Last edited:

MMirarchi

Okay, I now found some info. This is from the 'About the Author' paragraph in my first edition of Iron Arm published by Greenwood Press in 1980.

IIRC, it was a helicopter crash. He studied under two great historians and K State had an excellent military history program (it still does).

Thank you very much for this. He deserves to be remembered.