• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Italian canteens, mess kits, and personal items.

Hello, new to the thread. I am gathering items for my Brigate Nere (Aldo Resega) impression and was curious about things like canteens, personal items, mess kit etc... Italian mess kits I know aren't necessarily hard to find, but as for canteens I have read from mulitple people that using an original canteen, meaning you plan on drinking from it at an event or wherever, isn't recommended and possibily even dangerous. At the moment I do not know of anyone making reproduction Italian canteens, so I had some questions and I do apologize if these are dumb:
- If you use an original canteen, would you suggest using one? How do you go about cleaning and storing it? Did you replace the cover or keep the original?
- If there is people currently making reproductions of canteens and mess kits (or even just people or shops that sell accurate mess kits), who are they and how is the quality?

I do know there were Italian armies that used German equipment, but I have not read or seen anything in regards to canteens... For a group such as the Brigate Nere "Aldo Resega", would a German canteen be a possibility? I am assuming not but thought I would ask as it is known the the Brigate Nere used locally produced German gear and uniforms. Are there any alternatives to an Italian canteen?

And for personal items is there anyone making repros? Or is it more or so obtaining original and/or period correct items? Not looking for anything specific. I already do have a few personal/pocket items that are a mix of originals and historically accurate stuff.

Sorry if this is a lot. Thanks again and buona giornata

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum!

I am not an expert on the RSI period of the 2GM, so I hope other will provide their expertise.

RE: Original canteens. I have used original canteens for all my reenacting events. The first time I used a canteen, I wash it with vinegar followed by regular dishwashing soap with very hot water. Do it several times. After that, just dishwashing soap after each use. Replace the rubber seal/cork if original (keep if you wish to maintain the original piece for a display). I store them with the cap off to ensure they dry out and breathe. I have not experienced any problems, but I have a pretty solid gut. Our entire group uses original canteens and none have stated they experienced a health issue.

RE: the wool cover. Most original canteens often have a post 2GM cover. We just use as is. Finding wool of the original color is difficult and it is a fitted cover, requiring some sewing skill to remake.

RE: reproductions. AFAIK, no one is making reproduction canteens or mess kits. There are plenty of originals as the Italian Army continued to use the same pattern after the war. The three piece mess is wrong (cover, pan, pot). Only buy the two piece (cover, pot). The small drink cups are also easy to find. The challenge will be finding the fork and spoon. The post-war fork and spoon are the same but are marked EI rather than RE. If you are only planning to do reenacting, the EI version is fine. For some reason, the forks are harder to find than the spoons. If you find a fork, buy it.

RE: German equipment. Not my area, so others will need to give you a better answer. Some German equipment was used, so German canteens and mess kits are certainly possible. As you are reenacting a specific unit, find pictures to see what they are carrying.

RE: Personal items. Most personal items were private purchase, so period correct items are okay if Italian. The important question is whether these items are only for display or for actual use during events. If the latter, period correct reproductions is the away to go. I actual use a postwar EI shaving kit when on events, so it is functional yet looks period correct.

Note that is has been quite a few years since I put together my kit, so things might have changed.

I hope this helps!

Pista! Jeff

Welcome to the forum!

I am not an expert on the RSI period of the 2GM, so I hope other will provide their expertise.

RE: Original canteens. I have used original canteens for all my reenacting events. The first time I used a canteen, I wash it with vinegar followed by regular dishwashing soap with very hot water. Do it several times. After that, just dishwashing soap after each use. Replace the rubber seal/cork if original (keep if you wish to maintain the original piece for a display). I store them with the cap off to ensure they dry out and breathe. I have not experienced any problems, but I have a pretty solid gut. Our entire group uses original canteens and none have stated they experienced a health issue.

RE: the wool cover. Most original canteens often have a post 2GM cover. We just use as is. Finding wool of the original color is difficult and it is a fitted cover, requiring some sewing skill to remake.

RE: reproductions. AFAIK, no one is making reproduction canteens or mess kits. There are plenty of originals as the Italian Army continued to use the same pattern after the war. The three piece mess is wrong (cover, pan, pot). Only buy the two piece (cover, pot). The small drink cups are also easy to find. The challenge will be finding the fork and spoon. The post-war fork and spoon are the same but are marked EI rather than RE. If you are only planning to do reenacting, the EI version is fine. For some reason, the forks are harder to find than the spoons. If you find a fork, buy it.

RE: German equipment. Not my area, so others will need to give you a better answer. Some German equipment was used, so German canteens and mess kits are certainly possible. As you are reenacting a specific unit, find pictures to see what they are carrying.

RE: Personal items. Most personal items were private purchase, so period correct items are okay if Italian. The important question is whether these items are only for display or for actual use during events. If the latter, period correct reproductions is the away to go. I actual use a postwar EI shaving kit when on events, so it is functional yet looks period correct.

Note that is has been quite a few years since I put together my kit, so things might have changed.

I hope this helps!

Pista! Jeff
Thank you so much for getting back with a detailed response! Pretty much the answers I was expecting to get, as well as really helpful advice and info. I have been looking at others tutorials and blog post on keeping original canteens clean. I have a Swedish canteen that's late 1940's, that I use for a different impression, and that's basically how I went about cleaning it and storing away. I will absolutely be replacing the seal once I get mine! Thanks for the tip.
A lot of the original canteens I have came across their covers are usually in perfect to okay condition, so not a major issue.

I have found multiple (correct) Italian mess kits with no problem, though I have recently seen some reenactors doing Italian kits recommend the three piece mess kit and knew that was wrong... I have noticed too that the forks are harder to find compared to spoons! I plan on using it for reenacting so I will be on the look out for forks haha.

For personal items I do look for original dated items, those of which that are/look period correct and acceptable, and Italian (Or whatever country I am portraying). I don't have a plan yet to set up a display any time soon at an event, hopefully I can in the future, so I go with reproductions 100% and keep originals safe. I am a lady so finding repros or period accurate stuff for pocket items and hygiene products isn't much of an issue. I do multiple Italian impressions so I already have a lot I can use between them all.

Grazie. This really helped a lot, thank you so, so much again!

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Prego

I was wondering whether you were a female based on your user name.

My daughter did reenactments with me before she moved to Germany. Here she is in a GIL uniform...
katherineRockford.jpg

She also did Italian women fashions.....
KatherineRockford2.jpg

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, Rockford. Her hat, shoulder boards, and tie pin are original.