• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Italian leaders in the Western Desert - Ariete, Brescia, Trento?

Happy Wanderer

Gents,

I’m looking to find any Italian leaders of rank major, or above who displayed what might be called combat initiative as well as displaying bravery in the face of the enemy thereby giving a good account of themselves, during the initial Australian attack on Tobruk, and then the subsequent operations against Tobruk, with divisions Ariete, Breccia, and Trento.

If anyone has any anecdotal information, and/or names of these individuals that would be greatly appreciated for my research project. Generally it is fairly easy to find such named people in the Allied forces and the German army. However, our Italian friends seem to fade into oblivion when it comes to the individual heroics of some of their office class.

Who are these men?

Thank you.

Slavomir

Not sure if that fits your timeframe but one man comes to my mind: maggiore (later tenente colonnello) Camillo Nicolini Santamaria. A highly decorated officer, in his service (both world wars, Abisynia and Spain) awarded one gold, five silver, and one bronze Medaglia al Valor Militare, four Croce di guerra al valore militare and Cavaliere Ordine Militare di Savoia. Wounded four times in WW1 and three times in WW2.

He was the commander of colonna celere Santamaria. He was highly regarded even by Rommel for his desert operations in February - March 1941, wounded twice in the attack on el Mechili.

Regards

Happy Wanderer

Folks,

Perhaps to be a bit more specfic.

Does anyone know of any two officers in Ariete, Brescia and Trento divisions that fit the above description?

Help would be greatly appreciate.

Thank you.

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Can you be specific on the actual timeframe you are looking at?

Pista! Jeff

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I don't believe any Italian leader can be singled out during the defense of Tobruk in Jan 41. The battle was too short and the UK advantage too great.

A possible candidate is colonnello Advise Brunetti of the 32º rgt. carri M. from the «Ariete». He appears to handle his column well during the 30 April-4 May fighting.

Pista! Jeff