• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Italian military museums (not affiliated with the Armed Forces)

DrG

In Italy there are dozens of military museums, although most are quite small and rather disappointing. They also tend to be focalized on the First World War or the Risorgimento, rather than on the Second World War.
I would like to report some which I have visited in the past years and I think are worth a visit:
  • Museo Henriquez (Trieste): founded upon the estate of Diego de Henriquez, who had collected an immense amount of military vehicles, artillery pieces, weapons, etc. Its collection includes a CB pocket submarine (https://www.museodiegodehenriquez.i...-mare-al-carso-dal-veneto-di-nuovo-a-trieste/), which I was not on display when I visited this museum some years ago but now it seems can be seen by visitors.
  • Museo Storico Italiano della Guerra (Rovereto): mostly focused on WW1, but also with several pieces (included artillery and vehicles) from WW2.
  • Vittoriale degli Italiani (Gardone Riviera): the home of Gabriele d'Annunzio on the Garda Lake. While not exactly in topic, given that d'Annunzio died before the Second World War, it is still interesting for the display of a MAS from WW1 and of the Crocco glide bomb. Moreover, it's a very beautiful place, excellent for a visit in spring and summer. The guided tour is of top quality and a true must.