• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Italian Military Records

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Posted 18 January 2012 by Folgore1

Hello all doe anyone here know how to go about and acquire military records from the Italian government. My grandfather served in Africa in WWII until his capture in July 1942. He was a POW aboard the HMS Laconia that was sunk by U156 on September 12th, 1942 and was rescued by a German Uboat (not sure if it was U156) and then later returned to Italy to assist in the defense of Italy prior to the Allied Invasion.

--------------
Posted 19 January 2012 by arturolorioli
Military records about units, operations, logistics, HQs etc are not available unless you come to Roma, ask for a reserecher admittance to the Archives and start digging among the dusty folders.

If you are looking for your grandfather *personal* military records, you will have to follow this procedure :

If he was an NCO or private, send a request to the Army Documentation Center closer to his birthplace, providing the necessary informations (see below) and requesting for a copy of the "Foglio matricolare" (i.e. the personal document booklet that every italian soldier had, listing his status, service, medals, campaigns etc). You can find a list of the Italian Army Documentation Centers at http://www.esercito....ne/default.aspx

Enclosed please find a copy of the request translated in Italian.

Centro Documentale di (CITY)
Esercito Italiano
(ADDRESS)

Egregi signori,
il sottoscritto (YOUR NAME), residente in (YOUR ADDRESS), richiede il rilascio di copia del foglio matricolare di mio nonno (GRANDFATHER'S NAME), nato a (GRANDFATHER'S BIRTHPLACE) provincia di (PROVINCE) in data (GRANDFATHER'S BIRTHDATE), che ha prestato servizio nell'Esercito Italiano durante la Seconda Guerra Mondiale (inquadrato nel NAME OF YOUR GRANDFATER'S UNIT).

Cordiali Saluti
(YOUR NAME, ADDRESS AND SIGNATURE)

English translation :
Dear sirs,
the requestant (YOUR NAME), living in (YOUR ADDRESS), requests a copy of the "foglio matricolare" of my grandfather (GRANDFATHER'NAME), born in (GRANDFATHER'S BIRTPLACE) district of (PROVINCE) in date (GRANDFATHER'S BIRTHDATE), that served in the Italian Army during WW2 (as part of NAME OF YOUR GRANDFATER'S UNIT).

The Italian Army, through its documental centers, usually tries to assist as much as possible in this sort of researches, even if in most cases it will take quite a lot of time.

A small cost should be charged (about 25 cents per page), but it is usually not requested to foreigners.

To go through the process, it is essential that you do know the exact name and birthplace of your grandfather, otherwise it will be a no-go from the beginning, as you will not be able to identify the Documental Center that have your grandfather's records.

If you do not have some of the other information, just write "in data ignota" (unknown birthdate) or do not add the unit name (but both omissions will make the research noticeably longer and more difficult).

If he was an officer, you will have to follow a different procedure, in case just let me know and I will provide the necessary details.

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Posted 29 October 2012 by giuseppe
Thank you for this information, I will have to try again to get nonnis documents.

----------------

Posted 22 October 2014 by Pinerolo17111912
My grandfather was a gunner in the 18th Gran Sasso Artillery Regiment of the 24th Pinerolo Infantry Division who saw combat in Albania and Greece. He was captured in Greece in October 1943 (On or around the 15th of that month, I believe.) He was then sent to Lübeck, Germany, where he was starved and forced into 19 months of slave labor until he was liberated by the British 11th Armoured Division on May 2, 1945. I am looking for his military records. He was born in Bonefro, Provincia di Campobasso, Molise. Does anyone know the address for that Centro Documentale? Thanks.

------------------

Posted 30 October 2014 by Jeff Leser

Pinerolo

Here is a list of all the Centro Documentale locations (and websites) in the Italian military.

http://www.esercito....o%20Documentale

It appears that Molise is covered by Centro Documentale di Caserta.

http://www.esercito....di-Caserta.aspx

Pista!

Jeff

---------------------

Posted 15 July 2015 by mjov

View Post Folgore1, on 18 January 2012 - 03:53 PM, said:
Hello all doe anyone here know how to go about and acquire military records from the Italian government. My grandfather served in Africa in WWII until his capture in July 1942. He was a POW aboard the HMS Laconia that was sunk by U156 on September 12th, 1942 and was rescued by a German Uboat (not sure if it was U156) and then later returned to Italy to assist in the defense of Italy prior to the Allied Invasion.

Can anyone help me? My father graduated from Scuola di Applicazione Militare (Royal Military Academy, Turino) in 1942 and was a Second Lieutenant in the Corp of Engineers; was taken prisoner of war by the British Army in Tunisia in 1943 and was sent to the United States where he was held as a POW until the end of the war and then returned to Italy. I was told I could ask the Ministero della Difesa for a copy of all of his military personnel records, including any information about his time spent in the United States as a POW. Is this true? Is there someone else to ask? and how do I write the letter so that I get a response? Thank you for your help

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Posted 16 February 2016 by Joann

Hello all, :)

Where do I find army records of my uncle, he was a corporal and served in 9th Battalion Rosso, Division Giulia, Trieste Goriza 1942. Can anyone advise me on where to go, please.

-------------------

Posted 16 February 2016 by Dili

Joann, what Arturo wrote doesn't help you?

--------------------

Posted 01 March 2016 by bombtrack2

Arturo,
Thank you for the helpful post, I have just sent a letter using your template.