• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Kit Packing Manual?

Pendejo

Hi again just wondering whether there was a manual on how to pack the Italian Infantryman's kit. Looking for information as to how to fold the blanket, telo, where things are carried ('...field dressing in left pocket' sort of thing) or any information related to the carriage of equipment.

Thank you!

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I wish I could provide you with a lot of information, but alas there isn't anything to offer. I have looked in various manuals and directives over the years, but none provide a guide to what the soldier carried and how he carried it. It is my belief that this was something developed/implement at the unit level (regiment or separate battalion) and could vary widely between units.

There are lists of what the soldier was issued, but some of these items were for garrison. For example, the soldier was issued two blankets but only one was allowed on campaign. The other remained at the unit's garrison location.

The only guide I was able to find is in the Manuale di Regolamenti per i corsi alievi ufficiali di complemento (Regulation Manual for complemento student officers course) dated 1940. Ufficiali Complemento are basicaly reserve officers that can be recalled to the colors during wartime.

Pages 277-278 list various items and where they were carried. The problem is the manual still reflects the M29 borsa e zaino equipment rather than the M39 sacco and borsa tattica equipment which was widely used in the 2 GM.

Uniformi & Armi Speciale #202/203 (L'equipaggiamento del soldato italiano nelle due guerre mondiale by Giovanni Rizzatti) has some information on which items are carried in the M39 system. No cites are provided, so I don't know the source of Rizzatti information.

Here are there pictures I made of the equipment the soldiato carried using the M39 system. The borsa tattica carried the essential combat items, the borsa per corrodo per le armi a piedi carried the extra clothes, toiletries, etc., while the sacco per army a piedi carried everything.

The full layout.
FantiDisplay1.jpg

Everything packed into the borsa tattica (right) and the borsa per corrodo per le armi a piedi (left). The sacco is empty in the middle with the tenda telo attached to the bottom.
FantiDisplay3.jpg

Everything packed in/on the sacco per army a piedi
FantiDisplay4.jpg

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
And yes, the pacchetto di medicazione is carried in the special pocket in the inside rear of the tunic.

Pista! Jeff

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Bob

At the time of the pictures, yes. Many of those items have since found new homes.

Pista! Jeff