• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Looking for TO&E data

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I am looking for any/all TO&E document on the R.E. I have found some gaps in the material I have and looking to fill those gaps. Seeking mainly support units, but will take anything. Cite of the source of the material is gratefully welcome but not necessary.

Not looking for OB data, just TO&E.

I wish I could get back to the archives, but that is trip that will not happen until next year.

Pista! Jeff

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Maurizio

Thanks!

I am looking for TO&Es for the div. paracadutisti and the div. aviotrasportabile. I have some from my visit to the archives, but there are still some gaps. Actually looking for anything, even if I have it already.

- comando divisione
- comando regimento artiglieria
- any of the reparti servizi
- reparto misto genio

As we have previously discussed, Italian manning/structure documents are more suggestions than hard and fast rules. The key documents that I have found are the Formazione ed organici, Formazioni provvisorie di guerra, and the Dotazioni provvisorie di mobilitazione for the units. These documents are the actual authorizations for the identified units. I was fortunate to find several of these during my visit, but not all for the units in question. The archive filing system that organizes many of the documents by type of units rather that by individual units, combined with my limited available time meant I couldn't view all the files I would have wished. I also know that the archives doesn't have all the records; many are missing (either lost or destroyed).

For example I have two modifications to the Formazioni provvisorie di guerra della divisione aviotrasportabile (March and Sep) that detail changes in the infantry regiments, but I don't have the original Formazioni provvisorie (SMRE 18820/Ord 8 ottobre 1941).

Pista! Jeff

Unfortunately in TOE I am a bit lacking and I have none of those that you miss ..... indeed if you have some that you can send me at your leisure and if you can I would be grateful. I am currently in Switzerland but I could give you an email from one of my daughters who is in Italy .... please tell me if you can ... Thanks Maurizio

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Maurizio

Please PM th email address. Once I have finished working through the material, I will send you a copy.

Pista! Jeff

RangerDave

I am looking for any/all TO&E document on the R.E. I have found some gaps in the material I have and looking to fill those gaps. Seeking mainly support units, but will take anything. Cite of the source of the material is gratefully welcome but not necessary.

Not looking for OB data, just TO&E.

I wish I could get back to the archives, but that is trip that will not happen until next year.

Pista! Jeff
Jeff,

I am trying to locate actual TO&Es (primary sources) for the 1940 "Metropolitan" Infantry Division and for the three North African Division Types. Many websites have partial breakdowns but only your website actually refers to actual TO&Es. I am developing an excel spreadsheet that lays out the division structure (To squad/team level), manning (Off/NCO/ENL) and key equipment (Wpns/Transportation). Thankyou

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
RangerDave

Apologies for not responding sooner. I was out of town for several weeks and am finally caught-up.

Finding the actual authorization documents has been complex. During my visit to the archives, I focused on the documents addressing the paracadutisti and the aviotrasportabile units. While I found many of them, there are gaps in what was available in the records. These records are transcribed in the appendices in my book Infantrymen of the Air which was just released by Helion.

Another member has identified the microfilm roll that contains the documents for the 1940 typo A.S. divisions. I have ordered that roll from NARA but have no idea when I will receive it. I am not aware of any 1940 metropolitan documents at this time, but am looking for them.

Pista! Jeff