• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Maletti group and II tank battalion M

Kustosz2137

Shortly after it's arrival on 8th July 1940 one of two II Battaglione carri M's companies was detached and became part of the Raggruppamento Maletti. On 29 August during formation of Reserva Corazzata main part of the battalion became part of the II tankers group "Trivioli", but that one company remained with Maletti, as part of the Battaglione carri mista.
To this point history is clear for me, but later on December 9, during attack on Nibeiwa (place where Maletti stationed) entire II battalion M was destroyed. So, my question is: why rest of the battalion was here and when battalion re-united itself?
I know that battalion was supposed to be re-united for Brigata corazzata speciale that started forming itself on 18 november, but why main part (battalion command and 1st company i suppose) came to Maletti's 2nd company and not otherwise? For me 2nd company coming back to rest of the unit in 4º Reggimento carri would make more sense.

On 8 July 1940, a partially motorized autonomous group was also formed, initially called "Raggruppamento Maletti" from the name of its commander, then also Raggruppamento Oasi Meridionali (or in some texts also 3rd Libyan division). During the offensive on Sidi el Barrani, for logistical reasons, the Group changed its structure assuming a smaller formation in infantry but more powerful in armaments. Among these, a mixed tank battalion with a company of M11/39 tanks (belonging to the 2nd Medium Tank Battalion) and a company of L-3 tanks (belonging to the 60th L Tank Battalion). Once it reached Sidi el Barrani, the grouping was once again rearranged, receiving in early December a battery of 105/28 from the 21st Army Corps grouping as well as two other recently formed Libyan battalions: the 17th and 19th .o but the own tank component was sent back to the units of origin. The 2nd Medium Tank Battalion thus passed to the 10th Army which deployed it southwest of Nibewa. The unit was overwhelmed during Compass (it was currently reduced to 22 operational tanks).
All the best
Maurizio

Kustosz2137

On 8 July 1940, a partially motorized autonomous group was also formed, initially called "Raggruppamento Maletti" from the name of its commander, then also Raggruppamento Oasi Meridionali (or in some texts also 3rd Libyan division). During the offensive on Sidi el Barrani, for logistical reasons, the Group changed its structure assuming a smaller formation in infantry but more powerful in armaments. Among these, a mixed tank battalion with a company of M11/39 tanks (belonging to the 2nd Medium Tank Battalion) and a company of L-3 tanks (belonging to the 60th L Tank Battalion). Once it reached Sidi el Barrani, the grouping was once again rearranged, receiving in early December a battery of 105/28 from the 21st Army Corps grouping as well as two other recently formed Libyan battalions: the 17th and 19th .o but the own tank component was sent back to the units of origin. The 2nd Medium Tank Battalion thus passed to the 10th Army which deployed it southwest of Nibewa. The unit was overwhelmed during Compass (it was currently reduced to 22 operational tanks).
All the best
Maurizio
So, as I understand, battalion wasn't part of the Maletti's grouping, but just stationed in same area on 9th Dec.?