• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Map of Gazala area

Oasis

Hello

I am looking for a map of the Gazala and southern area (including Segnali Sud/Nord, Mteifel el Chebi, Got el Ualeb, etc.).
I just need a good topographic map without battle units if possible.

Thanks in advance to everybody

Toni

Andreas

Email me Toni.

All the best

Andreas

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I will be interested to read if Andreas is able to help you.
but these maps aree too generic for my search.
I assume you mean that the map scale is too small (1/250,000). The 1/100,000 AMS maps you need are missing from the Texas collection.

Pista! Jeff

Oasis

I assume you mean that the map scale is too small (1/250,000). The 1/100,000 AMS maps you need are missing from the Texas collection.

Pista! Jeff
Correct Jeff.
and location names (and often geographic locations as well) vary from map to map and from text to text.
But I'm slowly rebuilding the area that interests me.
Ciao

Andreas

Pista! Jeff
I think it's not just the scale, I find these maps less useful than the war time 1:500,000 and 1:250,000 also because they seem less detailed, not just because they have different naming and grids.

For Oasis the key issue is of course that the Italian/German maps are much less available.

All the best

Andreas

Oasis

I think it's not just the scale, I find these maps less useful than the war time 1:500,000 and 1:250,000 also because they seem less detailed, not just because they have different naming and grids.

For Oasis the key issue is of course that the Italian/German maps are much less available.

All the best

Andreas
It is so...

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Andreas

I am not sure I understand the issue. Most of the maps are based on Italian and/or UK 1940-1942 maps. Generally the topographic detail has been updated to some extent, but the maps are basically copies of those period maps. I have only found one map in the 1:100,000 that is entirely new.

Toni

Given that, Series P461 (GSGS 4231), U.S. Army Map Service, 1941, Derna Sheet 5 & 13, 1:500,000 gives you all the place names.

You can use the lat/long on a modern large scale map to check the topography.

Pista! Jeff

Oasis

Andreas

I am not sure I understand the issue. Most of the maps are based on Italian and/or UK 1940-1942 maps. Generally the topographic detail has been updated to some extent, but the maps are basically copies of those period maps. I have only found one map in the 1:100,000 that is entirely new.

Toni

Given that, Series P461 (GSGS 4231), U.S. Army Map Service, 1941, Derna Sheet 5 & 13, 1:500,000 gives you all the place names.

Pista! Jeff
Jeff
the map you mention is quite good with respect to other maps I examined, I did not know it and for this I thank you as I did with Andreas.
It reports however an error (maybe also others) for example with El-Cheima, positioned about 15 km north of its real position near another trigh as compared with some other maps and WD sketches and nowadays position. The paths of the tracks vary from one to another. But for my reconstruction it is more than sufficent, good enough.
Also Montanari reported a typo in his sketch no. 63 putting the front line on the Chianti track instead of the Rommel track.

Andreas

Andreas

Toni

Pista! Jeff

Thanks for making me look again. I hadn't realised that the collection is far more extensive than the set linked by David.

These seem to be the best ones: https://maps.lib.utexas.edu/maps/ams/cyrenaica/ as they are 1:100,000 and use the British Army grid for Libya, as far as I can tell.

All the best

Andreas

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Andreas

Yes, the collection is fairly large. I agree that the 1:100,000 are the best to use but....
The 1/100,000 AMS maps you need are missing from the Texas collection.
The area you need is covered by series P662 (1:100,000) sheets 17 and 18. It appears that sheet 17 was never made (missing on the index map) and sheet 18 is missing from the collection.

Pista! Jeff