• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Medal Translation: IN METAM FVRENTES and FORLI’ AI SVOI LEGIONARI

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Posted 10 July 2009 by Sparviero

Dear all,

At the moment I am stuck with translating some text on 2 medals and I hope someone is willing to help.

I own a medal issued by the town of Forli to its citizens which were legionnaires in the Ethiopian war. I have problems translating the following:
In Latin: IN METAM FVRENTES and FORLI’ AI SVOI LEGIONARI. The last phrase I think means Forli’ its legionairs.

The second medal is issued by the Royal Army. The text: REGIO ESERCITO GARE GINNICO SPORTIVE. This means I think: Royal Army, a competition of gymnastic sports.
The back in Latin: GYMNICIS MILES LVDIS AVDACIOR (gymnastic soldiers ?? ??)

On this medal, I am also not quite sure about what it is for. I googled and noticed this medal was issued in a lot of variations, depending on the period of the Italian Kingdom. On my version, the coat of arms is the one instituted on the 11th of April 1929, and the back shows 1 ancient warrior and a modern soldier with in between a Gladius and Fasce. This is a new backing compared to another medal with the same coat of arms, but the old backing of pre 11 April 1929. I think this medal is off around the mid-thirties.
Furthermore, I saw medals in bronze and silver (which I own), so I presume gold must also be there.
I also noticed that currently Esercito gare ginnico sportive still exists.
Could anyone tell me more about who issued these medals and for what? I believe the RE and for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place on an RE sports competition, but I am not sure about that.
If anyone knows the name of this medal in Italian I would also like to know.

A lot of questions.
I hope someone could help.
medagliadelregioesercit (1).jpg
medagliadelregioesercit.jpg

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Posted 10 July 2009 by Lupo Solitario

Trying what I can...

IN METAM FVRENTES

Furious on target

FORLI’ AI SVOI LEGIONARI.

Forlì to its legionars

REGIO ESERCITO GARE GINNICO SPORTIVE.

Royal Army Gymnastic Sport Competitions

GYMNICIS MILES LVDIS AVDACIOR

something as: "athletic games make soldier braver" (sense translation, not literal...)

------------------

Posted 11 July 2009 by Sparviero

Dear Lupo,

Thank you for your translations.

I searched again on the net and more info then that it was an annual competition I could not find.
For my database, I will call the medal: Medal of the annual Royal Army Gymnastic Sport Competitions.
How do you translate that in Italian? Medaglia dell'Regio Esercito gare ginnico sportive annuale??

Greetings,