• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Medic uniform?

Ironmaiden2000

I was wondering if medics (i imagine they didn't unlike the germans, but you never can be sure) had any set uniforms or did they simply wear a red cross band? IIRC some of the divison decals were a cross so I'd imagine that would make things confusing. Furthermore what did MVSN medics look like then?

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Sanità (medics) worn the standard uniform with sanità fregi on the helmet and sanità mostrine on the color. They did wear the white arm band with red cross.

Portaferiti (stretcher bearers and/or orderlies) also worn the same insignia if part of the medical unit. Note that in many cases, these individuals were seconded from other units and continued to wear their original unit insignia.

I am unsure what the MVSN sanità wore. I would need to check.

Pista! Jeff

Maxboi

If I may allow myself to be included in this discussion, I would like to point out that:
1) the doctors were exclusively officers and wore the gray-green uniform like the other officers of the Royal Army.
2) Nurses and paramedics wore the normal gray-green uniform of the troop or non-commissioned officers of the Royal Army.
3) for all there was the addition of the band with the red cross on the left arm.
4) However, a distinction must be made especially for officers who had a different uniform depending on the period:
From 1934 to 1940 the doctor's gray-green gabardine uniform (model 34) had the collar adorned with blood red velvet, as well as the bands of the trousers and degrees on the sleeve. The buttons were gold with the symbol of Health and the shoulder straps had the friezes of Health. With the beginning of the war in 1940, the gabardine uniform was transformed (model 40) '' lowering the tone of the colors '', thus eliminating the red collar, the shoulder pads and the golden buttons. The straps became fixed and gray-green and the buttons brown. The pants were not supposed to have the black / red bands but very often they were not removed. This is the uniform that is defined as '' suitable for wartime '' as the '' war '' uniform had to be the one in green officer's cloth but which was often not supplied and the one in gabrdine was used with the modifications said before.

Attachments

• Giacca-uniforme-mod-34-Maggiore-Medico.jpg
    Giacca-uniforme-mod-34-Maggiore-Medico.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 451
  • Regio-Esercito-Uniforme-Giacca-E-Pantaloni 40 Ufficiale.jpg
    Regio-Esercito-Uniforme-Giacca-E-Pantaloni 40 Ufficiale.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 482

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for the additional information. Do you any information on the insignia worn by the M.V.S.N.? I have not found anything.

Pista! Jeff