• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Memoirs or personal accounts

stechuskaktus

Are there any memoirs in english of the North Africa campaign? I tried to find something but I didn’t managed to find some. If anyone got some memoirs or books in Italian that’s also fine. I would try to improve my italian on it.

Cheers
Eric

1089maul

Eric, I recommend Alamein An Italian Story by Paolo Caccia-Dominioni. He served with the Folgore towards the end of the North African campaign then afterwards collecting bodies for burial in respective cemeteries. Regards, Bob

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Translation into English are rare. Caccia-Dominioni's book is one of the best known. Mario Tobino wrote a novella The Deserts of Libya based on his time there are a doctor during the war. You can find it in The Lost Legions with two other novels written by veterans.
VeteransAccounts1.jpg

There are many memoirs written in Italian. In facts, the war is likely better covered in memoirs than in historical works. Giulio Bedeschi edited several collections of veteran's accounts as part of the Testimonianze fra cronaca e storia series. The Fronte d'Africa: c'ero anch'io covers A.S.
Veteransaccounts2.jpg

There are many books focused on Alamein or are divisional/unit accounts.

stechuskaktus

Thank you both very much! I’ll try to get both books in English but sadly there are hardly available. I guess I really need to improve my Italian.