• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Montebello Lancers At Magliana

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Pelelui81 posted on 24 February 2011

I have read a couple of accounts that the Montebello Lancers provided tank support during the fighting at Magliana, but I could find no description of the type of tanks they deployed here. Any information is greatly appriciated.

Thanks

Dili posted on 24 February 2011

They had Semoventi 47/32. Maybe also Semoventi 75/18. They are not tanks but assault guns.

Pelelui81 posted on 24 February 2011

Thanks. I knew they had assault guns or SPG's, but I had seen reference to tanks also. Thought they might of had some light ones sprinkled in. Thanks again.

Dili posted on 24 February 2011

No no tanks in my data. They had AB41 autoblindo.

Jeff Leser posted on 24 February 2011

Pelelieu81

Could you provided cites for your sources on the actions of the Montebello and Ariete? It would save some time in trying to track down any additional information.

The R.E. CO. « Montebello » had on 9 September two squadrons of autoblindi (I assume AB 41s with 17 vehicles in the 1° Squadron, 8 in the 2°); a squadron of semoventi da 75/18 (11 vehicles); a squadron of bersaglieri with 8 Breda 30s; and a squadron of bersaglieri with 8 Breda M37s. Attached from « Ariete » was squadron of semoventi da 47/32 (10 vehicles) and gruppo di semoventi da 105/25 (normally 8 vehicles). This is from La difesa di Roma e i Granatieri di Sardegna nel settembre 1943 page 141.

I am not familiar with the unit designations in the Italian mechanized cavalry units. The bersaglieri ‘squadrons’ listed above appear to be two infantry platoons and a machinegun company. Semoventi are normally in batteries/gruppi, not squadrons. However, if the Italian cavalry is like the US cavalry, anything goes.

The semoventi da 105/25 supported the attacks of the « Montebello » on 10 Sept (page 157). If the semoventi da 47/32 are TO&E to the « Montebello », they are likely present as well.

Pista!

Jeff

Pelelui81 posted on 27 February 2011

Jeff, thanks much. This is great info. The source I saw tanks of the Lancers listed as participating was the book Who defends Rome by Melton Davis pg 444 and 448. I am definatley not an OOB guy, but appreciate the info very much.

Thanks again,

TJ