• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Ordered. Thanks Marek!

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
The Battle of the Alps arrived today. I have not read it, so these initial comments are only based on scanning the book.
SobskiBooks.jpg

The good...

Plenty of pictures. The book is filled with interesting pictures from the campaign.

There is a chapter on the situation in Africa settentrionale between the French and the Italians. I haven't read it, but the fact it is included is a plus.

The bad....

No table of contents. I was very surprised and looked through the book several times.

The OBs are basic and don't reflect what is available in the general sources. The Italian OB in Appendix 3 (pp. 209–211) is division level only, no sub-units. Both of the Italian official histories, La battaglia delle alpi occidentali and Le operazioni del giugno 1940 sulle alpi occidentali, have considerably more detail. Neither of these books are listed in the bibliography. The French OB (pp. 212–214) is better with subunits listed, but as I lack French sources, I can't comment on its accuracy.

Photo Album - Blitzkrieg in the Western Europe. Many photos of the German invasion of France. Why these photos are included puzzles me.

Only one map. A major problem. I have studied this campaign and good maps are a necessity. Unlike other theaters (North Africa, Russia, etc.) there aren't other sources that offer maps to support a discussion of the movement and actions during this period. The one map is basically useless for understand the campaign.

I will read what the text offers. If a good account of the campaign, then much can be forgiven. At this point, I am not sure Marek Sobski has done what could have been done using easily available sources. This might be the weakest volume of the series. Unfortunate as this campaign really desires an in-depth examination.

Marek Sobski

Hi,

You have frightened me greatly. I may withdraw the book from sale. Please reply to me quickly.

1. I moved the table of contents to the beginning of the book, as suggested by readers. I don't think it could disappear...

2. In the bibliography I give only those positions which I actually used. I have not been able to acquire official publications. I have concentrated on recent literature. Perhaps I was mistaken in thinking that it should be the most up-to-date.

3. If there are more comments that the end-of-book photo albums are unnecessary, I may remove them. My assumption is that the photos add to the value of the book. And they are virtually unaffected by the price of the book (printing on Amazon is the cheapest on the publishing market).

4. There should be eight maps. Is there another disappearance?

I only have the e-book and everything is ok.

Regards,

Marek

Marek Sobski

And I generally ask for your understanding. Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing is not a perfect publishing tool. It was created rather for simple products (e.g. there are barely a few fonts to choose from, all not very pretty). But otherwise this series will not be created, because some unknown boy from Poland is of no interest to anyone... For me the most important information is whether the book defends itself with its content.

Legend and maps for this book:

1. Deployment of the Italian 4. Army before the battle.

1_RGB.jpg

2. The sector of operations of the Italian Alpine Corps in the area of the Small Saint Bernard Pass.

2_RGB.jpg

3. The Italian I Army Corps sector in the area of the town of Modane.

3_RGB.jpg

4. The Italian IV Army Corps sector in the area of the town of Briancon.

4_RGB.jpg

5. The Italian Alpini troops' sector in the Abriès area.

5_RGB.jpg

6. The Italian II Army Corps sector in the area of Maddalena Pass.

6_RGB.jpg

7. Starting line of the Italian 1st Army.

7_RGB.jpg

8. The Italian XV Army Corps sector in the Maritime Alps.

8_RGB.jpg

Legend:

Legenda+Tekst_RGB.jpg

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Marek

It does appear to be a printing issue. Your statements.

1. Table of Contents is definitely missing. The title page, the copyright page, and any other pages you had before Map 8 are missing. Here is a picture of the front cover folded back to see the very first page of the book.

2. I or others can scan a more complete Italian OB from the official history.

3. The pictures at the end of the book are okay but they lack context. It is ‘so what?’ as there is no narrative to place the pictures in the history of the campaign. Given the other problems of the book, I just felt that they were unnecessary. More pictures of the campaign would be better if you have them. The pictures can be left in.

4. There is only one map, Map 8 (Italian XV Cd’A). The map is the very first page. The Map Legend is also missing.

v/r Jeff
France40.jpg

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Marek

Are you asking other members who have the book to check these issues? That is what I believe you are asking. Bob ordered a copy but it hasn't yet arrived.

v/r Jeff

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Marek

2. In the bibliography I give only those positions which I actually used. I have not been able to acquire official publications. I have concentrated on recent literature. Perhaps I was mistaken in thinking that it should be the most up-to-date.

A good source for the Italian officials is ISSUU. Here is Le operazione del giugno 1940 sulle Alpi Occidentali. The detailed OB starts on page 51 in the digital copy. It starts on page 53 in the real book.

v/r Jeff

Marek Sobski

Marek

Are you asking other members who have the book to check these issues? That is what I believe you are asking. Bob ordered a copy but it hasn't yet arrived.

v/r Jeff
Yes, that's exactly what I meant. I also asked on my fan page. If you were the only one who had bad luck, we'll file a complaint. And I will help as much as I can. And you will get a good version even if I have to pay for it myself. If there are more such copies, I will demand an explanation from Amazon. On the preview I accepted everything is ok.

Marek Sobski

Dear Jeff,

I have good news and bad news: only your copy is faulty. For some reason the first dozen or so pages are missing. Write to me at email: marek.sobski@interia.eu
I will provide you with materials to help with the complaint. If there happens to be a problem with my books, let me know. I am always willing to help. We'll talk about the rest of the comments when I've calmed down a bit. I nearly died of a heart attack :)

Regards,

Marek

1089maul

Hi both. My book has arrived but I am not currently at home. Will check it later today and update this thread. Regards, Bob

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Marek

That is great news if only the book I received was a bad printing.

v/r Jeff

1089maul

Marek/Jeff,

Just got home and had a quick look. Jeff, I agree that you have a rogue book. My copy has the table of contents together with all the maps. I haven’t had a chance to read the book so can’t really comment on the contents yet. I have had a mad spurt lately and have purchased four or five books which I must start reading!!

Regards to all,

Bob

Marek Sobski

Back to the main topic, which is the whole series.

It's probably true that I could have asked for help in getting material here. I also admit that I don't look for them on the internet. I actually use books/magazines that I buy. In fact, it should not be embarrassing for me to ask for help and suggestions. I will learn lessons for the future. And I am pleased to have been received here with interest and understanding.

Photos for the main topic are a problem for me. And the financial situation in general. Just across the Polish border we now have a war. Three million Ukrainians have fled to my country (one million have stayed permanently) (in addition, there is a crisis with the availability of printing paper throughout Europe), and inflation in Poland is forecast at 20%. I make a living from writing, and the Polish publishing market virtually ceased to exist overnight.

I am working on Betasom and this topic will serve as an example: one picture in Ufficio Storico costs 6 euros, I would like to buy about 100 of them (I have seen the thumbnails and I find them disappointing, because every expert in the subject knows them by heart). It's easy to calculate what the costs are. My best month on Amazon is not even a thousand euros.... Instead of buying from the archives I buy newspapers from the era (for 10 euros I have a few dozen pictures). But what I find there is a mystery. I have hundreds of photos from North Africa. With Betasom it will be a problem.

I have written to various Italian institutions asking for help, but I haven't even received a reply (exception: http://www.asso4stormo.it/ but I'm planning the aviation topic for later).

There is some worry. I will try to resolve them somehow. I am prepared that I will get worse ratings and some bitter comments in reviews. But as long as they do not apply to the text itself, I am able to accept them with full understanding. A real defeat for me would be if someone accused me of writing stupid things.

P.S. We will talk about Betasom soon. Three years ago I printed the Polish-language version of this story myself. I am currently completing it with a dozen or so recent books that I have bought in the meantime. I think it will be a very valuable publication (but fraught with the shortcomings I wrote about above).

Regards,

Marek

1089maul

Marek,

I sympathise with the difficulties that you are faced with. Have a look at the Regia Marina section of this forum and you will see a thread entitled U-Boat Net adds an Italian Section. This is separated site from Commando Supremo. The author of the Italian section is platon-alexiades. I have communicated with him. He may or may not be able to assist you or point you in the right direction. Just a suggestion.

Bob

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Did the return today and the book is on it way way. I should have a fresh copy on Monday.

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Marek

I understand the issues as I am writing a book on the paracadutisti italiani. I did buy some photos from the Italian archives so am well aware of the cost involved. I use the internet to find sources that are new to me or gives me an interesting bit that I then try to crackdown.

If you don't have a copy of I Sommergibili negli oceani, here is an English translation. The translation can be rough in spots, so one needs to be careful. I have used these translations, but I have the original Italian books to check the translation against to ensure it is correct.

v/r Jeff

Marek Sobski

Hi,

Good to hear that Amazon will solve the problem.

I am in possession of I Sommergibili negli oceani. However, I would still like to add the chapter on the blockade breakers that sailed from Bordeaux to the Far East, so I want to buy I violatori di blocco from the Uffico Storico della Marina Militare.

PS. The creation of a book on paracadutisti is excellent news. I found some issues of Para' magazine on Italian eBay - there are some interesting articles and little known photos.

Regards,

Marek

1654320947607.jpg