• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Nizza Cavalleria

Dili

Did V and VI Gruppo Autoblindo existed? i have the V with 32 Autoblindo and the VI with 21 but i am not sure they did even existed.

Slavomir

Not sure about VI, but Pignato & Cappellano confirm only III, IV and V Gruppo equipped with AB

Regards

At the beginning of 1942 the III and the IV GRUPPO SQUADRONI CORAZZATO "NIZZA" were established at the reggimental deposit.
The IV Group was destined in Albania, the III Group in North Africa with the division "Ariete". The latter was composed of 3 Squadrons armed with "autoblinde AB41 from here called III Group AUTOBLINDATO" NIZZA "(initially called 132 ° Rgt.).
In May 1942 he worked in Africa, with two Squadrons in the XX Army Corps. In August 1942, a single group was formed with the remains of the two Squadrons. Initially it was incorporated into the remains of the VIII Btg. Armored Bersaglieri and on April 22nd become part of the grouping Lequio, an Italian-German Exploring group engaged in the defense of Capo Bon in Tunisia. On the evening of 10 May, the few armored cars still in operation were destroyed to prevent them from falling into English hands.
The IV GROUP SQUADRONI "NIZZA" was based on two mixed Squadrons: one armed with light wagons L6 / 40 the other with armored cars AB41.
No "Squadroni" Squadroni Group has ever existed except the Regimental machine-gun group of the mounted regiment.
All the best
maurizio

Typo............V "Squadroni" Squadroni Group has ever existed except the Regimental machine-gun group of the mounted regiment.
All the best
Maurizio

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Dili

What is your source for the V and VI gruppi?

From Pignato e Cappellano's Gli autoveicoli da combattimento dell'esercito italiano vol secondo.
PP. 1287-129 lists the III, IV, e V gruppi corazzati Nizza with autoblindo. While some operational history is provided for the III and IV, none is given for the V gruppo.

I have found nothing in this book that states that the IV gruppo corazzata Nizza was a mix of autoblindo and L6/40s. PP. 199-202 discussing the employment of the L6 and doesn't list the IV gruppo cor. Nizza as a unit with this light tank.

From L'esercito e i suoi corpo vol. secondo, tomo II
P. 453 (schema 9) and p. 457 also list the III, IV and V gruppi cor. Nizza. What is different is the III gruppo is listed as L6/40. This doesn't match Pignato e Cappellano and I believe this is incorrect. Operational history is provided for the III and IV gruppi (pp. 457 e 460), but nothing for the V gruppo.

From Benvenuti's I carri armata del Regio Esercito vol primo (this is the collection of armored volumes from the Fronte Terra series).
The published volumes don't include the A.B. 40/41 series, so I can't check for the number of gruppi from the Nizza. It does have the volume on the L6. PP. 64-82 discuss the operational use of the L6. Here on p. 79 it does state that the IV gruppo was a mix of L6/40 and A.B.41.

Ceva and Curami's La meccanizzazione dell'esercito fino al 1943 actually touches on this issue. Tomo I appendice III (p. 487) lists three gruppi Nizza autoblindo (III, IV, and V). No mention of L6/40s in IV gruppo, just a statement that all three gruppi had 40 autoblindo. Footnote 3 (p. 491) discusses whether the V gruppo existed. They cite the same pages in L'esercito e i suoi corpo that I referenced and agree that the III gruppo wasn't equipped with L 6/40s. In conclusion they believe the V gruppo existed, originally planned for A.S. but ordered to Sicily in 1943. They reference a discussion with Ambassador Umberto Bozzini, a cavalry lieutenant s.p.e. at the time and apparently knowledgeable about these units. No further details are provided.

So three sources state that the V gruppo existed, but none give any operational history. No source states the VI gruppo existed.

Fronte terra carri armati 2 L6/40 pag 79.........says that the IV gruppo corazzato were on a mix of L6(21) and AB41(15) stationed at Dibra (Raggruppamento Celere Albania)....but phreaps initially were only AB40-41 (36) and after were send L6/40 ?????? mah????.........In effect also Pignato says for a V Gruppo but I never find it or it's history (Jeff....unfortunately also the books are a second way ..........the first are archives!!!!)
All the best
Maurizio

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member