• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Orlando Lorenzini and Ralph Bagnold

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
by Folgore » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:21 am

Hi everybody..I'm not referring to our Spanish friend..
:D
, but to the Italian general who died in Cheren 1941.

I was reading a very interesting book about the LRDG and the author said that Ralph Bagnold in 1932, during an exploration in the Libyan desert (near Gebel al Auenat), met an Italian Major, named Lorenzini.

Is he the same person? I found on the internet a site which says something that can confirm this idea. I think that he was in Libya at that time.

Anyone can help?

---------

by BRY » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:30 pm

Lt-Col Lorenzini till Cheren, I believe.

-------------

by orlando lorenzini » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:20 am

Hello Folgore,BRY:
Yes, I have seen the photograph of the Leut.-Col. Lorenzini with Mayor Bagnold; now I haven´t this link, but if you seek the history of the LRDG or biography dates of Major R. Bagnold you will find the photo that Folgore named in the former post. The Gen. Lorenzini was a few fat man, he was strong and he had a great chin. Bagnold was a great explorer of the desert,he studied the desert conditions and developed forms for to travel across the desert with adapted vehicles for the desert;I don´t remember exactly where but the encounter between Lorenzini and Bagnold was or south Egypt or Sudan, notwithstanding is possible that this encounter was in Lybia in 1930s years (I am talking from the memory).In the photo Lorenzini and Bagnold were friends; some years afterward sadly the War separated to them.
On salute from Spain:
Pedro "Orlando"

------------

by Folgore » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:30 am

Hi Orlando!

They met in 1932 at Gebel al Auenat, a mountain about 1000 km south of Cairo, in Libya, during the second Bagnold exploration of the Egyptian desert.

------------

by orlando lorenzini » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:28 am

Hello Folgore!
:
Many thanks for your reply. One great salute from Spain:
Pedro "Orlando"