• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Paracadutisti jump positions

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I am researching the Italian parachutisti. I have run across multiple references to osservatori aerei per paracadutisti e direttori di lancio. As a former military parachutist, the direttori di lancio is a jump master. However I am not familiar with the osservatori aerei per paracadutisti.

An interesting point is that these individuals are to be trained in Germany and it is a six month long course.

Dagli studi immediatamente presentati esso avrebbe dovuto essere composto da 75 osservatori aerei per paracadutisti, per la formazione dei quali in Germania si prevedeva un corso di 6 mesi, e 145 direttori di lancio, per i quali il corso previsto era di due mesi.

'From the studies immediately presented, it should consisted of 75 aerial observers for paratroopers, for the training of which a 6-month course was planned in Germany, and 145 launch directors, for whom the planned course was two months.' [My translation].

This appears to be a position that the Fallschirmjäger also had during parachute operations. My initial thought was pathfinders, but having studied the airborne operations from both the Dutch and Norwegian side of those operations, pathfinders weren't used.

My current thought is these individuals flew as part of the aircrew to guide the aircraft to the drop zone and to correctly position the aircraft fight path for the drop based on winds.

Any thoughts?

Pista! Jeff