• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Photo of a relative

Bodey

Hello everyone!

I would like to share with you all a photo of one of my relatives. According to the family story he was a medic and spent multiple years in a german POW camp after 1943. He survived the war and would move to America where he would start a family.

Does anyone know what rank he held? All input is welcome!

Best,
Bodey

Attachments

• IMG_7048.jpg
    IMG_7048.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 214

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Bodey

As a B&W photo, it is always difficult to determine colors.

Are you sure that he was medical? The mostrine (collars tabs) look more like artiglieria. Sanità mostrine doesn't have the yellow border. Rank appears to be either caporale maggiore (red stripes) or sergente maggiore (yellow stripes). Given the shade of the mostrine border being near that of the gradi and the stripes appear to be shiny, I lean towards sergente maggiore.

He is wearing a prewar waist belt on a M40 tunic. The gradi also appear to be the smaller M40 pattern.

We will see what others think.

Pista! Jeff

Bodey

Thanks for the info Jeff! I suspect the family story may be somewhat inaccurate, so no I would not say for certain he was medical. I hope to one day request his military records, but that is a task for another day...

1089maul

Jeff, I agree with you. I have looked through my books and come with a Sergente Maggiore from the artillery and animal transport personnel! It is a shame that the photo isn’t in colour!
Bodey, a great photograph of your relative!
Regards,
Bob

Bodey

Thank you for the kind words! I hope to someday find out more information on my relative, and when I do so I will be sure to post it here!