• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Questions About Italian Dog Tags.

MedalMan90

I’ve got some questions for the group about Italian dogtags. Here’s one I’ve had for a few years and have always hit a dead end while researching the veteran.

Is that what Italians referred to them as? If not then what was the term they used?

Are there different variants between branches of service, like American Army and Navy Dogtags during this time period?

The format of information presented on mine is slightly different then examples I have found on the internet, can anyone shed some light on this?

Is this dogtag even a WWII example? Or possibly a post war example?

Attachments

• 8F04DFFE-9764-4D6C-BAD7-2E5B2BFDDAD8.jpeg
    8F04DFFE-9764-4D6C-BAD7-2E5B2BFDDAD8.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 682
  • 6DA65D26-7C7B-4519-B06B-77E8CCC520BB.jpeg
    6DA65D26-7C7B-4519-B06B-77E8CCC520BB.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 674

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
The Italian name is piastrino di riconoscimento, many times reduced to just piastrino.

Unusual piastrino. The first line with Ufficiale (27) is puzzling. I have not seen a tag with any indication of rank. The number in parenthesis is normally the military district, but the name of the district is also written.

I have not studied these tags. I believe that the other services have slightly different information of them, but that is not based on any research.

To me, this tag is 'off', but officers might have different data recorded on them.

Sorry I couldn't be helpful.

Last edited:

MedalMan90

On the contrary my friend, you have given me more knowledge then I have had previously. It’s much apreciated

just so I’m reading the tag right;

C: Catholic.
Ufficiale: Rank.
(27): Military District Number.
Castaldo: Military District.
Enrico: first name.
Riccardo & Maria: father & mother first name.
Siniscalco: last name.
Napoli: nativity.

when you say “off”, do you mean that it’s just unusual? Or that it may be a replica/fake?

MedalMan90

A quick update. I began playing with search terms and I’ve been able to learn some information about Mr. Castaldo. the following comes from various pages of the Bollettino Ufficiale;

Date of Birth: March 2nd, 1904.

Promoted to Second Lieutenant (Sottotenette), July 27th, 1924. Infantry Unit, 40 i.d. (Military District?)

As of October 29th, 1933, he is still an Sottotenette. Stationed in the Naples District.

January 1st, 1941 he was promoted to Senior Captain (Anzianita Capitani) and is stationed in Salerno.

so “C” is his rank, and Ufficiale(27) is the district.

Last edited:

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I feel it is off because of 'what information' and how it is presented. I have no idea whether is it is a fake, but likely it is not. These piastrini aren't usually faked.

Here is how I read the piastrino.

C: Catholic.
Ufficiale: Officer - I have never seen this on a piastrino before.
(27) - Military district where he was born. I believe this is Napoli, but need to check my list at home.
Castoldo, Enrico di: Name of soldier
Riccardo (di Castaldo): father
Maria (nee) Siniscalco: mother's name
Napoli: place of birth. He was actually born in Naples.

Normally a piastrino will also include:
- the conscription class as a year (in his case it is 1904)
- service number (the service numbers repeat each year, so to identify a soldier you need both the service number and the leva date).

The difference is that this is a piastrino for an officer. Their tags might be different. I can't say whether I have seen an officers tag before.

Promoted to Second Lieutenant (Sottotenette), July 27th, 1924. Infantry Unit, 40 i.d. (Military District?)

I would need to read the original text, but I assume it is the 40th rgt. fanteria.

Last edited:

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Checked a few sites and your piastrino looks okay. There are several different version of the metal tags (mod. 16 e 32, possibly more). Depending on the version, the data provided does change.

This forum has a good discussion on the piastrini. You will need to register to see the pictures.

Milhistory Forum

Last edited:

MedalMan90

Before I forget, here are some photos of the documents I found.

Attachments

• C0230C5F-03EE-4ED0-8C30-EC92AAD57B96.png
    C0230C5F-03EE-4ED0-8C30-EC92AAD57B96.png
    564.1 KB · Views: 605

MedalMan90

Promotion to Capitano

Attachments

• 2B12B638-17D8-493A-A735-2EFC11581BEB.png
    2B12B638-17D8-493A-A735-2EFC11581BEB.png
    384.8 KB · Views: 582
  • 2F5F270A-A17D-4B07-9565-EC1023EAEB73.png
    2F5F270A-A17D-4B07-9565-EC1023EAEB73.png
    307.4 KB · Views: 586

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks.

Yes, he was assigned to the depot of the 40º rgt. f. as a 2nd LT. He would then be assigned to a position within the unit.

He is a reserve officer (ufficiale di complemento), not S.P.E.

Distretto militare 27 is Napoli.

MedalMan90

That explains why this has been a 4 year research project, reservists. It could also explain “Ufficiale”. Maybe it was shortened for the piastrino?

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
No, it wasn't shortened. It merely indicates that the individual was an officer. No need to state whether the officer is S.P.E. or di complemento. That had no impact on day-to-day actions.

smartrving132

Dog tags represent important information about the wearer and are mainly used for injured or dead people. At the same time, it is a significant "symbol" passed on by veterans, primarily in "military families".

1089maul

Dog tag information does not normally appear in books. The below is from Rex Trey’s book, ‘Mussolini’s Soldiers.’ You are quite right re being used for serviceman fallen as is with most nations.
Regards,
Bob

Attachments

• 326EB09D-CB2A-41E9-944A-B9C572B18B23.jpeg
    326EB09D-CB2A-41E9-944A-B9C572B18B23.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 168