• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Regia Marina: The under-appreciated Navy / Interview with Vincent O'Hara

Saetta

Apologies if this is the wrong forum. As this is a youtube interview, I figured it would fit as a media resource. This video is an in-depth interview with the excellent historian of Naval studies, Vincent P. O'Hara, author of several well known collections including such titles as: Struggle for the Middle Sea, Six Victories, and Dark Navy

O'Hara discusses the many instances that the Regia Marina are under-appreciated in the historical community, and he attempts to clear up many myths regarding her performance.

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for posting the interview.

There were many things he stated that I agree with. On the other hand....

...I am a little disappointed with the interview. When asked about what the RM did right and what were the RM successes, he had to think a bit before answering. Not the impression of one who has seriously considered the strength and weaknesses of the navy before and during the war. The success of the convoy support to AS was a quick answer, yet he worked hard to finally make that comment. The Battles of July-August 42 are another example he could have stated. His off hand comment about the Italian submarines in the Atlantic was a disappointment, given the Italian boats averaged more tonnage that most of the German boats.

When they were discussing the successes of the smaller units of the RM, O'Hare struggled with highlighting any actions besides X Mas. The action of the Lupo immediately sprung into my mind. He also didn't appear to have researched the gunnery question as deeply as one would have expected.

In the end, I felt that although he has written books on the RM, he really doesn't know the RM. Note I have two of his Med books, but they are not my go-to sources on the RM.

Just some quick thoughts.

Pista! Jeff

1089maul

Saetta,
I echo Jeff’s comments. Thanks for posting this. I will watch the entire clip and come back with my thoughts.
Regards,
Bob

Saetta

all valid points, and I do agree. I wonder if he somewhat pulled his punches as it were, given the audience with that specific channel. But with the arguments he was trying to drive home, I too would have liked to have seen him expand more with specific examples. Interesting you bring up the gunnery because I found that a bit odd as well. He briefly mentioned Da Zara at Pantelleria, something he wrote at great lengths about in his book In Passage Perilous: Malta and the Convoy Battles of June 1942, something which he is well aware is an example of excellent Italian gunnery but as you said, he didn't really have a response to Drachin's inquiry about the RM's gunnery performance or the velocity of the guns.

Additionally, he alluded to the Pugliese flood-control system when comparing Italian warships to other navies, but didn't expand on that which was a bit disappointing for me:

KTmVdvD.png

I was glad he brought up Supermarina's intelligence and highly successful cryptographic offices, while also challenging the importance everyone credits to Ultra, though. I'm by no means an expert, but I've read a few books about the conflict and have only seen this intelligence aspect of the MTO with favorable comments of Supermarina's offices mentioned once! (by a translated Italian source, of course!)

Last edited:

1089maul

Morning all,
I have now had a chance to watch the interview. I am not familiar with the host or any of his previous interviews so I am hoping that I do not do him a disservice when I say that I found watching the interview somewhat laborious and in fact had to watch it in two sessions.
The more important aspect is the content of the interview. I found myself thinking that I have heard all this before. There was very little that Mr O’Hara said to be new information. What he said was contained in books previous to any of his. He highlighted that there is no translation of any of the Regis Marina’s commanders into the English language. It is a shame that he did not go down this path as it would no doubt bring to light a fresh approach.
He did seem to struggle to come with the best bits in relation to the Regia Marina which leads me to think that he has taken his knowledge from what is already available and without proper research. As we know, much of what is written in the English language often criticises Italy’s war effort.
All that said aside, I think the interview is okay for the person who has no or little knowledge of the Regia Marina in the Second World War but not for the serious student.
Regards,
Bob

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Bob

Drachinifel has a channel on Youtube. He has over a hundred (possibly over two hundred) videos on various aspects of naval warfare. I have found his videos well researched, well written, and very enjoyable to watch. His videos on the development of naval boilers and armor are very informative. I recommend watching some of his videos for the entertainment value, their solid history, and detailed research. They can be addictive.

RE: The interview. I had the impression that O'Hare had received a copy of questions before the interview (several comments in the video indicated that possibility). If true, that makes his hesitation and incomplete answers more troubling. Either he didn't care to prepare or what we watched was the depth of his knowledge. Anyhow, I don't believe he helped the RM's history with his comments.

v/r Jeff