• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Report of Captaino Traniello

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
This is one of a series of reports either written by col. BIZZI or collected by him. Colonello BIZZI was sent to A.S. in March 1942 to collect technical information on the functionality of Italian systems, especially armored vehicles and weapons. I am translating and posting them here. Once all the translations are completed, I will assemble them and post on the Comando Supremo main page.

The original copy of this particular report is from La meccanizzazione dell'Esercito fino al 1943 tomo II Documento 52. As always, any errors of translation are mine and all words/comments in [ ] are additional to clarify understanding and enhance readability.

-------------------

MISSION OF CAPTAIN TRANIELLO IN A.S.
(March 1 - April 3, 1942)​

Comments on the characteristics of the various terrain that make up the theater of operation. - View English materials from prewar. - Observation on the behavior of our motor ists and armored vehicles. - Related proposals. -

LOCATIONS: Areas of: Tripoli - Homs - Misrata - El Agheila - Agedaba - Bengasi - Barce - Derna - El; Mechili - Soluch - Saunna. -

TERRAIN
The terrain is an element of the utmost importance for the determination of the characteristics of the vehicles that must cover it.

Overall the terrain of A.S. can be divided into the following categories:
- rough terrain;
- sandy soil with water outcrop;
- flat sandy ground;
- sandy with a slightly more consistent crust covered by a dense network of small bushes that protrude about 10-15 cm high;
- sandy and stony ground;
- stony ground;
- slopes;
- via Balbia.

Terrain types 1) and 2) can be considered almost intransitable; however, they can be easily avoided, because they are well defined and limited in size.

All other types of terrain can be driven by wheeled vehicles (having certain characteristics) and by tracked vehicles.

The terrain nº 3) is what is commonly understood when referred to as desert terrain: in it the slopes are almost ignored, with regard to the calculation of the performance, the sinking due to the looseness of the sand leads to an increase in the rolling drag coefficient that in some cases reach 700-800% of normal, and, if the dimensions of the vehicle's drive components (wheels and tracks) are insufficient, and therefore have excess sinking, also reach the limit of the adhesion coefficient; in this case the result will be the slipping of the wheels or the track.

Nor can the use of non-slip means contribute to the improvement of adhesion, since the cohesion of the sand is so minimal that such use could not have some positive results.

Characteristics necessary for a wheeled vehicle to transit on similar terrain are:
— combination of wheels of very low pressure tires, wide, and possibly of large diameter;
— engines of exuberant power and great recovery, in order to allow you to overcome any sudden increases in resistance without having to stop: stopping in clogged conditions is sometimes equivalent to not being able to start again;
— minimum height from the ground not less than 25-30 cm .;
— possibly total adherence;
— Terrain nº 4) is, in a certain sense, more easily practicable than the previous one: in fact the slight surface crust of greater consistency allows a better buoyancy for the vehicles: however, this crust is easily breakable, especially if there are several vehicles following the same path; in this sense, this soil type falls, in terms of consistency, in type nº 3) already examined. Furthermore, the presence of the bumps mentioned above requires particular care in the suspension, especially if this terrain must be passable, as is the case with English vehicles (vans) at high speeds.

The characteristics necessary for vehicles driving in this terrain are similar to those already examined for terrain nº 3) (the large width and the low pressure of the tires are necessary to avoid the possibility of breaking the surface crust, and to be able to continue driving even in the event that this break occurred). To these characteristics it is necessary to add, as already mentioned, a convenient strength and rigidity of the suspension.
— Sandy and stony ground: it is slightly more consistently than the previous one. The characteristics required of vehicles do not vary with respect to the previous ones.
— Stony ground: requires special care in the suspensions. The very low tire pressure can significantly ease the task of the suspension.
— Tracks: the tracks are naturally affected by the characteristics of the terrain on which they are traced: generally they are badly grounded, with deep holes: they also require particular attention to the suspensions and the minimum height from the ground, as well as convenient tire widths.
— Via Balbia: it is completely asphalted. Excellent in all respects. It is flanked in almost all its length by tracks which could serve to increase its logistical capacity if vehicles suitable for traveling were available.

BRITISH AUTOMOTIVE AND ARMORED VEHICLES

Small trucks - These are vehicles specially designed for driving on soils characteristic of the A.S.

The British use them for patrols with a very long range of action for the purpose of essentially disturbing the rear and communication routes.

They are three types: small - medium - large and of different manufacturers: Morris - Dodge - Chevrolet.

The characteristics observed by means of the workshops of the 120º autoraggruppamento of the "Morris" types are indicated in Annex no. 1.

It should be noted:
— the large width of the tires (I have personally found that the mounted sizes vary from 9.00 - 13 to 10.50 - 16);
- the considerable power from the engine which, especially in the "Dodge" and "Chevrolet" types, allows the vehicle to be extremely fast even on the slopes and on loose and uneven ground;
— an appropriate sizing of the suspension components, which is, on the whole, rather rigid: this in order to prevent triggering the oscillation and consequent excessive dancing/jumping movement (with the Fiat 1500 car, in fast driving on uneven ground, which notoriously has very flexible suspensions, has not been able to march on even good tracks at very limited speed and at the cost of continuous braking and gear changes, precisely due to the phenomenon of dancing/jumping: the Fiat 508 CM Torpedo performs better);
— the great range, obtained with spare tanks for water and fuel (the range data shown in the attachment refer to the normal tank only), as well as with numerous places for food and comfort items. For this purpose, there is a free space between the cabin and the front door of the body, of rather considerable dimensions, as well as innumerable compartments made in the sides;
— in the more recent types of trucks (especially in large ones) four-wheel drive begins to appear;
— the turning radius is relatively large, and this can be explained by the fact that in the A.S. you generally have all the space you need to make the necessary turns;
— all the trucks are equipped with special devices, consisting of pieces of slightly curved plates lengthwise, about 2 meters long and which have some holes, which serve as flotation devices to overcome any areas that are particularly sandy or to free vehicles that the sand has covered up: these devices are attached to the sides of the body;
— they are generally equipped with sand-colored camouflage cloths which are used to hide the trucks in rest/hide positions at the location or track where they intend to ambush;
— we do not have any vehicles that can oppose the action of these patrols, since the speed of transport available to them allows them to escape very easily: nor do we have similar vehicles — to perform similar disruptive actions against the enemy;
it appears that a British truck for a long time has been sent to Fiat for examination;
— in the following reproduced photographs: detail of the front axle of the large four-wheel drive “Dodge” truck, a 9.00-13 wheel of the small truck “Morris”; Medium ‘Morris' command truck.

Tanks — The summary of the characteristics of Mark VI - Mark V - Mark III (Valentine) tanks are listed in annexes nos. 2, 3, 4, 5. About the Mark VI I have to point out that the speed data was provided to us by the Germans: I have doubts about the speed on sand which seems excessive to me, although the limited track width is compensated for by the effects on pressure due to the long length.

As for the M.X. II A 2 (Matilda) and M. 3 Pilot [I have not previously seen this name for the US M3 tank] it was not possible to find any specimen because they were mostly used near Tobruch, and therefore remained in the area not yet reoccupied: it seems that a specimen of M.K. II (Matilda) was shipped awhile ago to Italy; it was probably lost on a steamer returning from the A.S.

The tracks of the Mark 2 A 4 undercarriage is made of rubber-covered steel elements. In order to increase traction on certain terrain, devices similar to steel knives can be attached to the tracks. I brought some specimens of these devices and track elements for particular examination.

The Germans were also very interested in this track, so much so that on my visit to Solluch I was asked by the German officer about the possibility of reproducing it in Italy rather than Germany - to which, of course, I replied that I had no authority to be able to answer him about it.

Mark II (Valentine) thank is noted that it is the first type of tank with diesel engine. This shows how the British are also moving towards such types for fighting tanks, essentially for their fire safety. In fact, in many enemy reports, the ease with which the English tanks catch fire, unlike ours and the German tanks, is complained about. - Since, however, the latter also employ a petrol engine, it is reasonable to think that the ease or not of [catching on] fire also relates to the type of projectile that hits the tank; in an English report, in fact, calls for a incendiary anti-tank round. This of course does not detract from the greater safety of diesel compared to petrol.

English tanks are generally much faster than ours. This gives them the opportunity to employ combat or escape at will. This possibility is strongly complained [about] by our own.

Range is significant and is increased through additional fuel and water tanks applied to the outside of the tank.

Much space is gained inside the tank by using straps instead of seats: it is often used only for drivers.

All tanks are equipped with magnetic or sun compasses.

A very important detail, which is also found in armored cars, is a special shoulder support, in the shape of a vertical crescent, attached to the main weapon: which allows the gunner to maintain an almost unchanged position of his eye with respect to the sight instrument when maneuvering the weapon even with the tank in motion. This of course allows greater speed and greater precision in aiming.

Armored cars - Armored cars are used for reconnaissance and forward artillery observation. For this second purpose, they are sent very far, near the targets to be fired upon, and by radio they communicate observation data to the batteries. Artillery officers were often captured in armored cars.

The speed of the British armored cars, although not excessive on the road (75-80 km/h), however, is very considerable on the track and the A.S. terrain. (55-65 km/h) and this allows them to easily escape the enemy's offense and attacks.

They have all-wheel drive, but only front steering. I do not know whether a dual steering system is applied, a system which, given the space available, is an almost useless complication.

Range is increased by the usual external fuel and water tanks.

The engines are exuberant, so as to allow rapid acceleration and quickly bring the vehicle to the maximum allowed speed.

The suspensions are particularly robust. The tires are generally of a known safety type (pneumatic outer tire with an internal rubber ring).

The photos and main features of the Guy armored car are shown below.
Weight: about 5 tons .;
Armor: from mm. 5.5 to 15 mm;
Speed: about 75 km / h;
Crew: 3 men;
4 wheel drive - 2 (front) wheel steering;
Petrol engine inline 6 cylinder.

An example of this armored car will be sent to Italy (together with some tire specimens) by the A.S.

Trailers for transporting tanks
. - I had the opportunity to see two types of trailers for transporting light tanks.

The first type has the following characteristics:
length: 3.40 m - width of the loading surface: 2.12 m - height from the ground to the cargo surface: 0.70 m - drawbar with adjustable position - tire size 10.50-16.

The second type, slightly larger than the previous one, has a maximum range of 6 tones. It is composed of elements that make up an [open] the frame on which the [track] guides rest.

Both trailers are without active suspension.
This is made possible by the large dimensions of the tires, and consequently results in the small height of the loading surface from the ground.

Tank recovery vehicles - Not of particular importance.
Only the arrangement of the crane should be noted. With this arrangement, which can be seen in the following photographs, the floor of the bed for the loading of material and tools is completely left free.

Artillery tractors and specifically those for the artillery - The tractors I have seen have not shown particular interest: the following photograph represents the tractor-observation for 88 [25 pdr] guns.

Note the complete sheet metal cladding (perhaps to provide support for the observation seat) and the observation seat, the details of which I could not detect because all those [vehicles that] I saw were in very poor condition and lacked many pieces. According to all these perches are very useful.

In the photographs that follow, details of the arrangement for towing the English 40mm gun.

It should be noted that when the tractor exerts the traction force necessary to start movement on the drawbar, the front wheels automatically fold down under the carriage, placing them in a towing position, where they are held by a special spring bolt.

Last edited:

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
ITALIAN VEHICLES AND ARMORED VEHICLES
(Characteristics, strengths and weaknesses compared to the English correspondence - inconveniences detected frequently)

Carri L. It is a subject dealt with in the report of the divisione «Ariete» (attachment nº 6). I agree with the conclusions regarding the employment, and with the required characteristics, except for the armor which cannot be such as to withstand the weapons of 20 without greatly impairing the characteristics of speed or mobility of the tank.

I believe that the Ansaldo truck could be the answer with a L/6 hull and 100 HP engine, provided that it is given sufficient range and equipped with a 20 weapon.

The lack of the turret would, in my opinion, would be greatly compensated by the higher speed and lower visibility.

I consider the current L/6 tank to be absolutely too slow, both in an absolute sense (given also its height which makes it very visible on the average flat terrains of the A.S.) and in relation to similar English tanks which all have speeds of around 50 km/h.

The L/6 tanks that arrived in A.S. at the time with the well-known experimental company, gave rise to the following drawbacks:
1 broken torsion bar;
1 broken right half-shaft;
2 broken split group pinions;
chamfering (wear) of the teeth due to the constant pressing and release of the gears;
a break in the screws fixing the leather crown seal to the epicyclic reducer box;
3 gear bearings for water pump spindle support.

M Tanks
M/13 Tank - It is the only one used so far in A.S., since the M/14s are just beginning to arrive.
Everyone complains about it - the known lack of engine power, the presence of the Calzoni device and the pedal control of the gun, organs, the latter which, having never been used, represent an instrumental obstruction. Even the inertia starter seems to have been used very rarely. While I agree with the uselessness of the Calzoni device for the terrain in the A.S, since it is very rare to have to maneuver the turret with the tank on a slope, I cannot say the same about the inertia starter, which, especially with rather high temperatures, can represent a precious expedient to save batteries, as well as needed when it is necessary start the engine with dead batteries.

Indeed, it is very regrettable that the starter is so little used; since this is to the detriment of the duration of all the electrical equipment when starting.

I had the opportunity to experiment on site with tanks converted to petrol using the Siata head. Of two tanks present, one was unable to participate in the tests due to ignition defects. The other has behaved well in sandy soil, keeping good speed and proving particularly brilliant in the second half [of the test].

This greatly facilitates the transmission shifting. However, I have doubts about the cooling and ignition, which is confirmed by the problems already mentioned. In any case, better clarifications can be obtained from the tests currently underway at the Study Center.

In consideration of the sharp decrease in range, of the problems related to safety deriving from the use of petrol and the fact that with the M/14 tank and better still with the M/15 tank, the issue of engine power is now overcome, I believe that the solution with Siata head can be taken into consideration possibly only from the point of view of the transport economy, as with this use it would be possible to improve the performance of the M/13 wagons by sending to A.S. only complete engines. Keep in mind that for the conversion in question it is also necessary to provide for the shielding of the ignition system.

Most common problems encountered in M/13 tanks (also see the divisone Ariete at. Nº 6 report):
— breakage of third and fourth gears;
— front upper bearing housing rupture of gearbox (ball bearing for direct drive shaft);
— suspension pin engagement (some lubrication holes were found to be blocked);
— breakage of transmission shaft (in the latest orders);
— discontinuous operation of the oil pressure gauge;
— broken rubber coupling sleeve for the auxiliary water tank;
— easily clogged diesel filter;
— engagement and breaking Albertini water pump;
— gear lever break;
— continuous breakage of the gripping front teeth;
— diesel tank leaks (latest orders);
— broken track links and drive wheel teeth (I believe that this problem was sporadic and due to some accidents);
— breakage of fuel oil pipes from injection pump to injectors (latest orders).
— M/14 tanks - They have not yet been used; in the short journeys made so far have given rise to the following drawbacks:
— 3rd and 4th gear breakage;
— fires in the electrical system due to the fact that the batteries placed inside the fighting compartment are not well secured, and, moving forward, put the positive [post] in contact with the metal wall of the [turret] basket: once this a short circuit is established it will burn the massed wires. To remedy this problem, just place a wooden strip between the batteries and the wall of the basket;
— numerous breakage of the springs of the pumping elements of the injection pumps. This can lead to serious drawbacks. In fact, the following case occurred: a driver, starting the engine, moved as usual, the adjusting rod to the position of maximum capacity: due to the breaking of one of the aforementioned springs, the dovetailing of the spring itself and of the lower collar in the pump body, consequently - locking the adjustment rod; when the engine started, it was no longer possible to limit the working of the pump, and the engine quickly exceeded the maximum permissible speed [rpm] causing breakage of valves (which have fallen inside the cylinders), pistons, connecting rods etc .; I brought some of the parts with me for examination.

improvements to be made to the M/13 and M/14 tanks.
— Increase the size of the diesel filter, and move it to the combat compartment (for example under the auxiliary water tank) so that it can be cleaned from inside the tank.
Better, if possible, to place two filters, one in the current position and one as mentioned above (each larger than the current one) with a junction valve that can be controlled from the inside. This is to avoid, as has often happened, that the filters get dirty quickly during action and the engine loses power. In this regard, I understand that the drivers often remove and puncture the filter element before the action;
— fix the track tensioner supports with bolts instead of rivets;
— equip the tanks with a key for firing the 47;
— equip them with radio stations, except the delicate RF 1 CA which almost never works.

perfectly clear;
— increase the number of rounds from 47 to 110, perhaps placed on the bottom of the compartment. (see the «Ariete» division report);

Improvements to keep in mind for all tanks.
— equip the wagons with sun and magnetic compasses;
— equip them with odometers that work reliably (these instruments are very necessary for driving in the desert; vice versa, many, especially in 75 semoventi immediately deteriorated);
— provide the wagons with additional internal tanks for water, diesel, oil, as well as with accommodation for reserve provisions;
— keep in mind about the main armament of the tank, that for the same caliber, the longer barrel, with greater range, with a tighter trajectory (75/32 instead of 75/18, 47/40 instead of 47/32).

Self-propelled 75/18 on M / 13 hull.
They have given excellent performance proof and they are all enthusiastic. They were used both as artillery in support of tanks and as counter-tank tanks. In the latter case, their powerful armament combined with their easy concealability (because they are very low) have made them a very precious weapon admired by the enemy himself in his official relations. The only flaw found is the limited future self-propelled speed from 75/32 on the Saharan hull will certainly give even better results both for the greater speed and for the better armament, also desired by all.

They have given rise to the same problems as the M / 13 wagons as well as several broken odometer and clutch release lever supports.

They need the same improvements listed for the tanks.

Armored cars
It is a means by which everyone is convinced of the need and which everyone invokes in order to carry out a reconnaissance activity that can cancel and counteract the [reconnaissance activity] of the adversary. So far, reconnaissance has been carried out with tanks, and, despite the waste of fuel and vehicles, these reconnaissance efforts have given little results, especially due to the slowness, noise and visibility of the vehicles used.

In the attachments n ° 7 and n ° 8 are the reports of Lieutenant DIONISI (of the well-known experimental company[in the RECAM]) and of the 3ª compagnia P.A.I.

It is good to keep a relative account of the latter, because, since I was told, this company has used armored cars for a short time and without excessively great results.

Extensive information is given on the major drawbacks in the report by Lieutenant DIONISI.

To this I add:
— In my opinion, the 4-wheel steering in the terrain of the AS, is perfectly useless;
— the two drivers [position] is equally useless;
— it is necessary to increase its speed, especially in varied terrain, and above all to increase its acceleration in high gears (4ª and 5ª) which implies an increase in engine power and a strengthening of the suspension components, as well as the application of large section/low pressure tires, because without these ,the specific pressure on the ground is too high, and the suspensions too stressed in fast off-road travel;
— it is necessary to increase its range with the use of auxiliary fuel and water tanks;
— it is advisable to replace the turret seats with belts of the type used in captured Somua [tanks];
— it is necessary to equip them with compasses.

Sahariano truck. A.S. 37
It has given good results. Its slow speed is complained of (the changes made by the Libyan Sahara command are the subject of a separate report).

Drawbacks:
— crossbow attachment bracket broken;
— leaf spring break;
— steering wheel control levers broken.

In my opinion, the steering of the rear wheels is almost useless for this vehicle as well. The fact that four-wheel drive and four-wheel independent are [stated as] required in the aforementioned report of the «Ariete» division indicates a lack of knowledge of the vehicle which already has these capability, as is known.

Trucks
Overall, our trucks performed as well on the road as well as on the track. In the march off the roads, a march which they are often forced to [do] for logistical reasons, they revealed some deficiencies as a result of which they dealt with the suspensions and minimum ground clearance.

In the opinion of all the best results were given by the Lancia 3 RO and by the various types of D.M.

Emphasis:
— SPA 38 R - frequent breakage of the front leaf springs at the height of the bracket;
— Fiat 666 and 626 - breakage (in the joint) of the compressor control chain; the starter electromagnetic switch, located on the right side member, gets dirty very easily and therefore works irregularly; .
— Bianchi Miles and Mediolanum - frequent breaks in various parts of the front suspension, especially the leaf springs.

Passenger cars
From the various cars used (Fiat1500-Fiat508C- Fiat508C.M. ‐ Lancia Aprilia - Fiat 2800 - Alfa R. of various types) the worst proved to be the Fiat 1500 (inadequate suspension - insufficient ground clearance). The best is the Fiat 508 C M. Torpedo.

Overall, they all suffer from the following shortcomings:
— engines with too high revs and therefore subject [the engine] to exceptional wear;
— insufficient minimum ground clearance;
— inadequate suspensions;
— tires of too small [a cross-]section and too high pressure (this characteristic causes excessive stress to the suspensions, as well as limiting the possibilities of the vehicle in uneven terrain);
— limited range, which could be easily eliminated with the application of auxiliary water and fuel tanks.
In particular, the following drawbacks have been reported to me:
— Lancia Aprilia - easy detachment of the rubber hose inlet to the radiator water (I think it is enough to eliminate the inconvenience by replacing the current clamps with other more suitable ones: work that could easily be done on site): leaf spring breakage and removal.

— Fiat 2800 - frequent breakage of the steering components (I was not told of which components are the location of the breakdowns complained of).

CONCLUSIONS

1) —The armament and speed seem to assume increasing importance in the tanks. Perhaps we are heading towards a self-propelled war. The defense of the tank now seems to be entrusted to speed, maneuverability and the possibility of concealment rather than armor. In this sense our tanks are clearly inferior to the British. In my opinion, the future Sahariano will give an excellent result, if it meets the required characteristics, as well as the 75/32 self-propelled units on a Sahariano hull. I also think, 47 self-propelled on L/6 hulls can be very useful, but they should have a speed of 50-55km/h, and be able to nearly keep these speeds even on broken ground.

In this case they could also serve as support elements for reconning armored cars.

2) — The use of tanks without the support of artillery, especially for attacking positions organized in defense, now seems to be excluded.
In an English report, 5 artillery regiments are required for each armored division.

The Germans have made numerous self-propelled applications with their well-known half-track tractors.

3) — The British anti-tank pieces, 40mm and 87,6mm are of exceptional efficiency and precision. They are particularly notable for the speed of putting into battery and for the range. Apart from the opportunity that we also have anti-tank pieces that meet these requirements, the need to neutralize them when they reveal themselves recommends the use of self-propelled vehicles to accompany the tanks.

4) — It should be noted that both our and English tanks (and also armored cars) fight regularly and without any inconvenience, with the turret hatches open. This demonstrates the uselessness of the upper armor. On the contrary, I will say that fighting with the hatches open is strictly prescribed for the British to facilitate the exit from the tank in case of fire.

5) — It is necessary that all tanks are equipped with compasses, and that their range is increased by means of external auxiliary fuel, lubricant, and water tanks.

6) — It would be good if our petrol [motor] tanks had a fire control [suppression] unit (which also exists on aircraft, but of which I don't know the details).

7) — For the recovery and repair of tanks in combat, I refer to what is stated in the aforementioned report of the «Ariete» division (page 4). I do not agree with the need for the armored mobile workshop.

8) — The English flying batteries gave us much trouble, especially due to their mobility. It is a fact that the war in A.S. constantly offers the possibility of sudden encounters with the enemy: which leads to the convenience of having artillery installed onboard the vehicles themselves. This convenience is particularly felt for fast reconnaissance groups. The following photographs illustrate makeshift montages of our 65 gun or 20 machine guns on war prey trucks.

Other applications were made on the 3 RO truck (100/17 howitzer) and on the TL 37 tractor (75/27 gun).

9) — It would be good if wheeled vehicles, not armored, were built with low pressure and large section tires both for reasons of ground pressure and to facilitate the work of the suspensions. The rather rigid suspensions, the short movement, the minimum height from the ground (25-30 cm.), and the wide track would facilitate the movement of these vehicles on and off the slopes.

10) — It is necessary that the vehicles destined to operate with reconnaissance or raid activities, are equipped with compasses, odometers, additional fuel, lubricant, and water tanks, storage spaces for spare food, as well as radios.

11) — From the large expanse of land that is almost devoid of natural obstacles, the integral steering proved to be perfectly useless in wheeled vehicles. For vehicles equipped for high speed, the above characteristic may indeed be harmful to the effects of driving. Equally useless, in my opinion, is double driving [positions] in armored cars.

12) — The carburetor [equipped] engines for A.S. vehicles should, in my opinion, be slow engines with large displacement.
With this the following undoubted advantages would be obtained:
a) — less wear (it is obvious that wear due to sand is much greater in fast engines than in slow engines);
b) - longer life of the lubricant in engines (it is known that the lubricant currently available has rather deficient characteristics: and therefore more suitable for low speeds than high speeds);
c) — less need to use the gearbox, which translates into greater ease of travel on uneven ground.
The inconvenience inherent in such engines, of a certain slow recovery, could be remedied by an excess of power, an excess that has proved necessary in the A.S. terrain even for high-rpm engines.

13) — For injection [equipped] engines, the enormous wear that occurs in the pumping elements of the injection pumps must be taken into account: it is therefore necessary to have fuel filters of undoubted effectiveness, and large stockage assigned to parks and workshops; a high percentage of pump units in the spare parts supply.

BELOW IS A LIST OF MATERIALS [sent with this report].

a) 3 complete links of the rubber track of the American Mark 2 A 4 tank;
b) adhesion element for the above;
c) various broken parts of an M/14-41 engine;
d) used lubricating oil for engines for examination of the characteristics.

LIST OF THE MATERIAL OF WHICH WAS REQUESTED BY THE HIGHER COMMAND FF.AA. A.S. SHIPPED TO THE STUDY CENTER

1 medium "Dodge" truck
1 small "Morris" truck. 1 medium "Morris" truck
1 large "Morris" truck
1 medium "Chevrolet" truck 1 tractor for each 87.6 piece
1 Mark 2 A 4 wagon
1 wagon Mark I I I (Valentine) & singing ... Mark Vi
71 armored car Guy
Various tires for armored cars.

CAPITANO G. TRANIELLO

Last edited:

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
What I found interesting is the mention of the Sahariano design to be use in a variety of applications. Of course, the Sahariano type tank was never built and remained only as an interesting concept. It wouldn't be until mid 1943 that a new chassis, the P40, would go into production.

A lot of dreaming in 1942. :cry:

Pista! Jeff

Andreas

Comment on the US M3 is interesting, because the Germans definitely captured a number of them, including in non-running conditions. So it's strange the Italians weren't given access to one.

I'm also puzzled by the comments on the Valentine. I'd bet money that none were captured (these really only saw action outside Tobruk), and I suspect the early ones in use during CRUSADER would have been Mk. I variants with petrol engines.

Also interesting to see the M2A4 mentioned. There were two (2) in North Africa and I doubt they ever left Egypt.

Thanks for taking the time.

All the best

Andreas