• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Sicily Luftwaffe and Regia Aereonautica

Alex if you really want an overall OOB on the Sicilian countryside maybe it is good that you also put a format for the Luftwaffe and the Royal Air Force as well as for the Royal Navy and the Kriegsmarine....
All the best
maurizio

Alex

Hi Maurizio,

I was actually thinking about this last night. As well as looking at how long over Sicily the allied air forces (fighters/ground attack) had compared to the Axis fighters/ground attack.
As for the Allied Navies I certainly need to look at the naval gunfire ships available to them and what naval forces the axis committed to the battle to try and interdict/drive off the allied fleets. I'm not aware of very much at all for the latter.

Happy Easter btw

Alex

As for allied ships, you will need to look perhaps in the book of Morison which has significant battle orders regarding the navy or on similar texts or by getting help from those who deal with allied armies of the Second World War. As for the marines of the axis, however, in addition to the Royal Navy which engaged the allied navy with only light forces throughout the Husky, the Kriegsmarine also had some units that depended on the Mediterranean command at the time. Both navies carried out raids against the Allied ship, especially for transport. Then there is the whole part concerning the land forces of the Royal Navy which in Sicily held the command of various maritime squares but unfortunately the reports of the time are very incomplete on the latter. Maybe I'll see if I can find something. Same thing to say about the Luftwaffe and the Air Force. Both also had significant anti-aircraft forces in Sicily which, even in this case, are difficult to locate and find.
ALl the best
Maurizio