• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Supplies at 10th June 1940

Does anyone have any accurate or even approximate tonnage for supplies available to the Italians on 10th June 1940?

I am especially interested in...

Tripoli.
Benghazi.
Tobruk.
Bardia.
Any other major location.

Thanks,
David.

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Information on what stockage is in threater is available. The location of that stockage is not. It is not given as tonnage.

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
David

There aren't any neat tables that include everything. You will need to read through the memorandums and figure out what they say. The information often isn't in tons. The artillery data (the one neat table) is in Units of Fire (UNFOC). Sadly the USSME didn't publish a separate logistics volume on A.S. like they did for Russia. That volume has plenty of detail.

Books to look at.

Diario Storico del Comando Supremo vol 1, book II.
Documento n.1 has a lot of information and some locational specificity. Good place to start. This is the most complete listing of the logistical situation in A.S. that I am aware of. The data is as of Feb 1939. There might be more data buried in the other memorandums in that volume.

Montanari Le operazioni A.S. vol. 1 Sidi Barrani
Allegato 5 Artillery ammunition (UNFOC)
Allegato 9 Material requests

L'esercito italiano tra la 1ª e 2ª guerra mondale
Allegato 46 has some information by theater

Montanari L'esercito italiano alla vigilia della 2ª guerra mondiale
I did a quick look. Most of the info are army totals, but there might be some data for A.S. specific.

In Africa settentrionale La preparazione al conflicto
Many memorandums.

If the Diario Storico data isn't enough, then I don't feel you will find all the data you are seeking. For example there is data on the numbers of uniforms in the magazines in A.S., but I didn't find anything on rations. It might be buried in the memorandums or in the text. None of this information is presented by location, only A.S. totals.

Pista! Jeff

Hi Jeff.

Thanks for your input.
As I don't have any access to that data. I wonder if I ought to try to approach this from another direction.

Monthly tonnage figures for deliveries to North Africa are available from June 1940. Are there any figures from earlier. That way at least I would have the approx. tonnage if not the locations.

Kind regards,
David.

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
David

You can find the Diario Storico HERE They have the chart in the wrong place. In the book it follows page 18, but in this digital copy it starts on page 30.

You can search that same site for Montanari's books in Italian. Or you can go HERE for an English translation. The English can be dodgy at times, so be prepared for some weird translations and awkward sentences, but it is generally workable.

I would say that the Diario chart is your best bet. If that isn't good enough, then you have a lot of work ahead of you.

Pista!

Jeff

Dili

The diario link posted by Jeff have several info about the army, navy and air force quantities from page 30 to 40. Translation issues?

Dili

Clipboard-1.png

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
David

I feel the level of detail you are looking for can only be found in the archive materials in the QM records of daily stockage if they were maintained. It is highly possible that the reports sent to the S.M.G. are also in the archive. The few allegati in the Diario give us a taste of what is available, but the number of documents attached to the reports is huge. We still don't have compete records of material that was delivered to A.S. during the war.

Clearly you can be the one who writes that detail account of logistics in A.S. ;)

Dili

What is the source of that page. I can't place it.

Pista! Jeff

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I hope I haven't discourage you :-(

The movement of supplies is constant, so pinning down the amounts at an exact time and place will require those specialized records. Sadly books with that type of information don't normally make the NYT's best seller list. I visited the Army archives to specially find the organizational details on the paracadutisti. While I found a lot, I still have some major missing pieces after a week searching.

I see you have asked the same question on AHF. I will be interested to see if anyone attempts to answer.

Pista! Jeff

Dili

You get some small information about food in Jeff link. Values i posted are for 1 May 1940 i think compared to 1 Nov 1939.

Jeff: la storia della dottrina e degli ordinamenti dell'esercito italiano vol 2 tomo 1

I think i have seen somewhere some details about food more detailed but i can´t remember.

ljadw

Crociani and Battistelli said in The Italian Soldier in North Africa 1941-43 that between 1 September 1939 and 10 June 1940,1183 motor vehicles,120 tanks and almost 800 guns were sent to Libya,mostly in the first few days of June .
And from June to December 1940 2800 lorries,163 tanks ,230 anti-tank and 470 guns .