• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

The Italian Army in North Africa, 1940-43: Luck Was Lacking, But Valor Was Not

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
This is a new book on the Italian experience in A.S. that is scheduled to be published in Jan 2021 written by Ralph Riccio and Massimiliano Afiero. I have a high opinion of Ralph Riccio (I am not familiar with Afiero), so have pre-ordered the book.

I have high hopes.

Pista! Jeff

Last edited:

1089maul

Evening all,
Agreed, really looking forward to this book! I just hope that it will be available. I pre-ordered an Osprey book on Italian destroyers and waited patiently for the release date for then be told that it was being delayed due to COVID!
I have the book with the similar title by Zapotoczny and hope the new one will be an improving on the previous one!
Regards to all
Bob

1089maul

Afternoon all,

I have just seen that this book’s publication has been delayed to the 15th July! On a positive note, my book on Italian destroyers arrived today!

Bob

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Yes I received an email a fews ago that the book had been delayed.

FrancoFB

I've ever find this "Luck Was Lacking, But Valor Was Not" very disturbance and revisionist
was not the Luck lacking but oil, tanks, trucks, ATG and so on

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Reading the title, I get a sense of more apologetic than revisionist. We will know once we read the book :)

1089maul

Darren,
The latest New Vanguard book.
Bob
062826CF-5AC7-4142-8F39-8211146C4996.jpeg
062826CF-5AC7-4142-8F39-8211146C4996.jpeg

Andreas

I've ever find this "Luck Was Lacking, But Valor Was Not" very disturbance and revisionist
was not the Luck lacking but oil, tanks, trucks, ATG and so on
It's the inscription on the Alamein memorial 'Manca il fortuna ma non il valore' or something along those lines. It's not an inappropriate title given the subject matter, IMO.

All the best

Andreas

Andreas

i was not talking of the book per se, but of the inscription and all the following use
I think it depends on the content of the book. If it deconstructs the slogan it's nothing to worry about. If it's a hagiography of the misunderstood Italian super army that could do not wrong and only suffers because of Rommel's slurs, I am with you.

All the best

Andreas

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Another delay to 26 July. At least it is the same month.

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Once more a delay. The new date is 7 Oct 21.

Reactions: Bry

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Now informed the book is delayed until 7 Feb 2022.

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Because the book isn't ready.

The author signs a contract to deliver the book by a certain date. As that date approaches, the publisher queries to see if the book is still on track. If the author states yes, then the publisher begins the pre-publication advertising and soliciting pre-orders. Then the book is put on sale and pre-orders are shipped. Publishers program books by year, 6 months, or 3 months based on their print capacity.

This book has seen several slips in it publication date due to either the author not having finished or issues in preparing the book for printing, etc. I feel that it finally slipped too far and would mess up the next planned printing block, or the author stated he needed significantly more time to finish.

Bottomline we don't know. With such a big jump, I assume the publisher has other books ready to go and slipped this one back as it still isn't ready for printing. It likely hasn't be send to the typesetters, so the publisher is moving ahead with other books at this time.

Just a guess.

Just my guess, but it'smost likely Covid shutdown related.

I know the gaming world is experiencing setbacks that won't catch up until 2023.