• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Toulon France Aug 1944

BHR

I am looking for what sub unit of the 3rd "San Marco " Div (RSI) fought in or around Toulon France in Aug 1944.
V/R
John

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have much on the R.S.I. I am hoping one of our other members can answer your question.

Pista! Jeff

Reactions: BHR
"San Marco" Volunteers Department or CC Landing Special Group
In August 1944 a small unit (20 men belonging to the 6th regiment) of the "San Marco" was sent to help defend the fort of Toulon, in order to delay the Allied landing. After a resistance that lasted for a few days, the Italians, about to be surrounded, retreated to fight on Ventimiglia and from there to Cairo Montenotte. On 1 September the department, having reached the RSI Commands, was dissolved and all the volunteers were reintegrated into the Division.
All the best
Maurizio

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Maurizio

"San Marco" Volunteers Department or CC Landing Special Group

Can you write the name of the unit in Italian?

Sai scrivere il nome dell'unità in italiano?

Pista! Jeff

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Grazie Maurizio!

Okay, Volunteer Detachment «San Marco» .

Does the CC stand for (abbreviating) anything? It is capitalized so not controcarro, and being a capitalized double letter means it is a plural.

CC Special Landing Group.

Pista! Jeff

BHR

CCNN my mistake....
All the best
Maurizio

So were they part of the Black Shirt company?
Were they attached to the German 242nd Division or were they attached to one of the Italian units said to be in the area for construction and Anti Aircraft and shipping artillery?

No the small unit as I said in my first post had been assembled with about twenty volunteers belonging to the 6th regiment of the 3rd San Marco division but the intent was to form a combat team and as such it was ... . (what was left of it) in Italy. The name given to it by some text as a CCNN landing unit derives from the fact that many of the volunteers before the Republic of Salò had served in the Special Landing Group CCNN which partially operated in occupied France under the 4th Italian army ...
All the best
Maurizio

BHR

No the small unit as I said in my first post had been assembled with about twenty volunteers belonging to the 6th regiment of the 3rd San Marco division but the intent was to form a combat team and as such it was ... . (what was left of it) in Italy. The name given to it by some text as a CCNN landing unit derives from the fact that many of the volunteers before the Republic of Salò had served in the Special Landing Group CCNN which partially operated in occupied France under the 4th Italian army ...
All the best
Maurizio
[/QUOTE

Ok thank you very much!! I apologize for all the questions. I am attempting to understand the units sent to or already in Toulon that were fighting during Dragoon. Thank you again for the information!

BHR

Are there any good books or articles that have the units that made up this CCNN landing group of volunteers? Was it just the 20 from 6th Rgt. Or were there others from different units forming the combat group? Also books or articles discussing the Italian fighting at and around Toulon?

I don't know what you are referring to since the link takes you back to my answer on this forum but I must also tell you that unfortunately, since both the episode and the unit it belongs to are a very small unit and a little known "battle" there are no specific books who talk about it ... the episode is reported in some texts on CSR as Nino Arena's RSI or Pisanò's The Last in Grigioverde but it is only faintly outlined in the volume dedicated to the history of marine infantry of the Italian Historical Office. If of interest, it should be remembered that during Anvil-Dragoon in addition to this small department belonging to the RSI, the GNR "Nizza" battalion (commander captain Guido Magli), armed groups from Nice, were also on the south French coast. and the personnel of the coastal batteries of Cepet and Saint Mandrier located in the fortified perimeter of Toulon ... from other sources (German) it seems that the small unit of San Marco (led by Major Tullio Monzoni) was inserted in a provisional brigade of the Kriegsmarine formed by various and inhomogeneous elements, but they are not controlled and verified documents ...
All the best
Maurizio