• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

TS 91 no letter prefix and no date

Jeff

I think I read that the no letter prefix were issued to non military units . It has just four serial numbers no letter prefix ,no date , maker BRESCIA , and has a diamond with the letter N in top over VC over a line over B. A small stamp on the receiver ring not sure what it is ? Any information will be helpful;.
IMG_6295 (2).JPG
IMG_6298 (2).JPG
IMG_6296 (3).JPG

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Your moschetto is a M91 TS made by Napoleone e Vittorio Castelli - Brescia. This maker was more common for Bodeo revolvers and Balilla moschetti. While true that Carcano without letter prefixes are normally police/civilian weapons, none of my sources list N e VC as a maker of weapons for those groups. The caveat is that little is know of the production by that maker. The serial number range for pre-1928 is 1219-1935 without letter prefix, so your moschetto falls into that range. No serial number list by year exists for those early weapons.

From what I can see in the picture, the nose cap has been modified by removing the bayonet lug and grinding down the reinforcing metal from the screw to the lug. I would need a better picture to be sure.

One source states that civilian moschetti had the barrel numbered to the receiver. Look at the bottom of the receiver ring to see if there is a serial number. The stock and hand guard might also be number to the barrel. This is not known to be 100%, so lack of doesn't mean anything.

I would need to see a picture of the mark on the receiver ring. It could be a steel mark, but don't know without seeing the mark.

In all, a rare maker. Finding a replacement nose cap, preferably with the transverse bayonet lug, would help value. Many of these TS were later modified to take the standard bayonet with the straight fucile lug.

I hope this helps.

Pista! Jeff

RRA227

Nice carbine. Looks like it needs a upper hand guard and cleaning rod. Rich A. in Pa.

Jeff

Your moschetto is a M91 TS made by Napoleone e Vittorio Castelli - Brescia. This maker was more common for Bodeo revolvers and Balilla moschetti. While true that Carcano without letter prefixes are normally police/civilian weapons, none of my sources list N e VC as a maker of weapons for those groups. The caveat is that little is know of the production by that maker. The serial number range for pre-1928 is 1219-1935 without letter prefix, so your moschetto falls into that range. No serial number list by year exists for those early weapons.

From what I can see in the picture, the nose cap has been modified by removing the bayonet lug and grinding down the reinforcing metal from the screw to the lug. I would need a better picture to be sure.

One source states that civilian moschetti had the barrel numbered to the receiver. Look at the bottom of the receiver ring to see if there is a serial number. The stock and hand guard might also be number to the barrel. This is not known to be 100%, so lack of doesn't mean anything.

I would need to see a picture of the mark on the receiver ring. It could be a steel mark, but don't know without seeing the mark.

In all, a rare maker. Finding a replacement nose cap, preferably with the transverse bayonet lug, would help value. Many of these TS were later modified to take the standard bayonet with the straight fucile lug.

I hope this helps.

Pista! Jeff
Thanks for the info . Now I need to find a hand guard and cleaning rod.