• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Uniform of troops in AOI

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I received this email query and posting it here for any additional comment or correcting any errors in my answers.
----------
19 Nov 2021
I have had some questions as of lately regarding Italian uniforms worn during the East African campaign of 1940 to 1941.

In particular, I am looking for references to the insignias worn on the tropical uniforms by the 'Cacciatori d'Africa division', and the Carabinieri present at the Battle of Amba Alagi. Among that, I am also looking to know whether or not units like the Carabinieri and/or 'Cacciatori d'Africa' division had neckties on a standard basis. I know that this was the case for the 'Granatieri di Savoia' division.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
-------------
20 Nov 2021
I am not clear about what you are asking, but is my best try.

RE: insignias worn on the tropical uniforms by the 'Cacciatori d'Africa division', and the Carabinieri present at the Battle of Amba. The insignia should be the standard mostrine for those units. You can find the 210º regg. f. at http://www.regioesercito.it/reparti/fanteria/rgt/rgt210.htm , and the 211º regg. f., at http://www.regioesercito.it/reparti/fanteria/rgt/rgt211.htm I have not found a divisional mostrine, as the divisional mostrine is the regimental mostrine. The challenge is that normally the two regiments in each division has the same mostrine which is not the case with d’Africa.

RE: Carabinieri. They worn the same mostrine as the metropolitan Carabineri, but with a red background instead of black.

RE: Neck ties. The Granatieri, d’Africa, and the carabinieri all would have worn black ties with the dress uniform, g-v ties in the g-v uniform, and khaki ties with the colonial uniform. Of course, it is unlikely they worn them in combat.

I hope this helps.

v/r Jeff
-----------
21 Nov 2021
Yes, it does indeed help alot. Many thanks!

One question I forgot to add, however, is whether or not the 'Cacciatori d'Africa' division would've worn their divisional armshield on the left sleeve. Due to the division being formed in 1940, I have had my doubts about it.
-----------
21 Nov 2021
No Italian units wore the arm shields. They stopped being made in 1938 (IIRC), and late 1939/early 1940 were dropped from the uniform regulations. While pretty, no unit wore them during the war.

v/r Jeff

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
In researching my answer to this question, the issue of what mostrine was worn by the divisional units of the d.f «d'Africa» eluded my research.

Normally both regiments of a division have the same mostrine, hence the mostrine worn by divisional troops was the same as the two regiments. The 210º and 211º regg. f. have different mostrine. Did the division adopt one of the regimental mostrine for divisional troops? Or, as divisional troops wore a combination of the divisional mostrine with the speciality insignia added, did these troops only wear their speciality insignia?

Pista! Jeff

Last edited: