• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Valarini Detachment and I Bataglione Carabinieri paracadutisti

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:39 AM by Andreas

Hi

According to the Italian OH, the detachment of Col. Valarini (consisting of two coys 65th Infantry from Trieste, the Barce Training Battalion and the 1st Battalion Carabinieri Paratroopers) was attacked and mostly destroyed on 20/21 Dec. 41 in an attack by 5th Indian Brigade supported by 42nd RTR (Matildas?)

Does anyone know more about this fight? In particular:

a) Who was Col. Valarini
b) What was the background of the paratroop battalion - when did it arrive in Africa, how was it equipped, was it some sort of special unit?
c) How was the detachment of Col. Valarini equipped in terms of heavy/support weapons?

Many thanks in advance.

All the best

Andreas

Posted 27 November 2007 - 04:24 PM by Davide Pastore

a) Who was Col. Valarini

Skipped :oops:

b) What was the background of the paratroop battalion

One of the first para units created in Italy, this one being made of Carabinieri personnel.

Why it was selected for the African front I really cannot grasp :?

when did it arrive in Africa

July 1941

how was it equipped

- Reparto Comando (platoon strength)
- 3x Compagnie Paracadutisti (inner details I don't know for sure, but they had probably 3 platoons of 3 squads each, plus a tenth squad as HQ)
- Engineer platoon (attached)

Weaponry:
- 12x Breda 30 LMG (I have no idea how to fit them inside the triangular infantry structure shown above :? so that structure is possibly wrong)
- 12x Fiat 35 HMG (possibly not an original asset of the battalion but attached: if this is true, they are likely a MG company, either 3 platoons of 4 weapons or 4 of 3)
- 4x Solothurn ATR (attached)
- 6x 47/32 ATG (attached)

Strength is given at 350 men but I believe this number does not include any attached unit.

was it some sort of special unit?

In the sense of being made of hand-picked personnel, yes; but not in the sense of specially-trained for modern-day SF employment. They were normal infantry, with the plus of being able to airdrop.

c) How was the detachment of Col. Valarini equipped in terms of heavy/support weapons?

Skipped :oops:

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:05 AM by david

Was it ever combined with the Battaglione Libica Nationale Paracadutisti?

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:58 PM voloire

Good evening.
Not Valarini but Vaiarini

Col. SPE Gherardo Vaiarini, commanding officer of 65° infantry Rgt Trieste. Fallen in action on july 17 1942 leading his troops. Awarned with gold medal (in memoriam).

For those who read italian: you can take a look here

I Battaglione Carabinieri Paracadutisti

For Mr David: on 19 dec 1941 - Eluet el Asel - the batalion was renforced by a platoon of para destroyer, 9a compagnia bersaglieri (47/32 gun - Lt Coglitore) and 1 platoon of paracadutisti libici

Best regards

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:55 PM by david

OK.

But the Battaglione Libica Nationale Paracadutisti were always seperate from the Valarini Detachment and I Bataglione Carabinieri Paracudisti ?

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:48 PM by Andreas

I got the site's permission to translate and publish it:

https://rommelsriposte.com/2011/02/22/1st-carabinieri-parachute-battalion-in-north-africa-1941/

All the best

Andreas

Last edited:

Andreas

To add, I believe they were overrun by Indian troops supported by I-tanks. Will do some digging.

All the best

Andreas

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Was it ever combined with the Battaglione Libica Nationale Paracadutisti?

No, the battaglione carabinieri paracadutisti didn't arrive in A.S. until June 1941. Both the I Battaglione paracadutisti libico and the Battaglione paracadutisti nazionali della Libia were destroyed in Jan-Feb 1941.

Pista! Jeff

Oasis

Raggruppamento "Vaiarini" on 16 dec '41 is deployed at Elnet el-Asel on q.628 and q.629 to protect Balbia from south.
On the evening of 19 december as rearguard is overrun in Berta by a bayonet attack of 3/1 Punjabi supported by 42.RTR.