• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

War Correspondents

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
by Metatron » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:19 am

Did Italy have any war correspondents? Who were they and did they have a German magazine like "Signal'?

-------------

by jwsleser » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:11 am

This is an area I haven't researched much, so others will need to chime in. IIRC, the Italian counterpart to the German war correspondents was Luce. I am currently watching a modern Italian production on Cheren, and the period film was shot by Luce.

Jeff

----------

by Veltro » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:22 am

Of course they did! The engine that drove Fascism was propaganda. If you search on eBay you will come up with propaganda magazines ( Italian). Also, there was a war correspondent by the name of CUrzio Malaparte, who followed the German invasion of Russia. Many of his books have become classics, such as "The Volga Rises in Europe", "Kaputt"
etc....

Eddy

----------

by Gian » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:47 am

I know of a number of Italian journalists who operated as war correspondents, but the only names I recall now are Luigi Romersa (N. Africa), Montanelli (Ethiopia and Finland) and F.T. Marinetti (Russia). Nello Quilici was a non-career Airforce officer and produced a War Diary shortly before his death.