• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

War diary terminology

Slavomir

Greetings,
Would anyone help me explaining the difference between "Forze presente" and "Forze combattente"?
I have encountered those two terms while studying Diario storico 32 Reggimento Carrista.
Thank you in advance
Slavomir

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I can only speak from experience as I have not read any Italian sources explaining this categorization.

Units have assigned strength and effective strength.

Assigned strength (Forze presente) are all the officers and men assigned to the unit regardless of their status. This includes those that might be in the hospital, detached for other missions, serving in non-combat positions, etc.

Effective strength (Forze combattente) are all the officers and men that can actually do their jobs. Basically all those men those stats is present for duty and not in any of the statuses mentioned above.

A company detached to another unit would count assigned but not as effective.

Pista! Jeff

Slavomir

Thank you Jeff,

It makes sense however with one remark, personel being sick and in hospitals is accounted separately.

ex. for 30/4:
Forza presente: ufficiali: 62, sottufficiali: 113, truppa: 784
Forza combattente: ufficiali: 27, sottufficiali: 58, truppa: 214
Ammalati: ai reparti: n.n = al'Ospedale: 7

Regards

Slavomir

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Slavomir

From that entry, I assume that the seven in the hospital are still included in the Forza presente total, but not in the Forza combattente total.

Pista! Jeff