• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

What Does Il Duce mean?

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
by david » Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:36 am
Does anybody here know the exact meaning of the phrase 'Il Duce' I have heard many names given to Mussolini and wanted to know what this one meant.

----------------

by Tankredi » Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:36 am
Duce simply means "Leader".
I think it is derived from the Latin word "ducere" : to lead.

--------------

by david » Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:38 am
Thanks, Tankredi that was most helpful.

------------

by stefano » Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:43 am
the latin word for leader, dux, was/is also used to describe Mussolini.

------------

by FB » Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:49 pm
Yes from Latin:

Dux, ducis = The Leader

Duco, duxi ductus ducere = To Lead

From the same Latin roots derived other terms in other languages indicating "the boss" i.e.: Conducator, Duke, Doge (the elected chief in ancient Venice), or, on more down to earth level, conductor etc.
Best regards

-----------------

by Brummbar » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:03 pm
Is 'Duce' pronounced like 'duke' or 'deuce'?

-------------

by david » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:39 pm
Neither.

'Doochay' would be closer I think.

------------

by Lupo Solitario » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:02 am
I'm not so learned in English pronunciation rules but I'd tell David is quite right.

--------------

by Brummbar » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:20 am
Thanks for that guys. Funny as it may sound, I've never heard anyone actually say 'Il Duce', but of course I've read it in countless books.

---------------

by Joseph Salemi » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:53 pm
Hitler, who greatly admired Mussolini, translated the phrase "Il Duce" into German as "Der Fuhrer." They both mean "the leader."

-----------------

by @Reazzurro90 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:55 pm
The only thing is, the Italian word 'duce' has become so associated with Mussolini that modern Italian dictionaries drop duce from the list of words meaning leader. It's too bad though, because most Italians do not use words like "capo" and "conduttore", which are the "correct" forms of leader. Instead, today, most Italians prefer to use the English word leader. In my opinion, 'duce' should be restored. It may have been associated with Mussolini, but honestly, fascism is over. I prefer 'duce' in the Italian language to 'leader' any day.

And no, I'm not a fascist.