• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

What type of weapon is the Breda 30

kolja

kolja

Note I never said impossible. My discussion is copied below.

I am sure I used the word can't somewhere in the discussion as it was used as shorthand while writing. That shorthand needs to be read with 'can't' meaning the discussion above.

Nothing technically is impossible. Many things just aren't worth the effort to achieve useful results. IIRC, there is a famous story of an alpini in Greece fighting off an attack with a Breda 30. He is often depicted in drawings as firing from the hip. He was defending a fixed location (not attacking or moving) which simplified things. There are other drawing where he is standing behind a rock with the Breda resting atop it. That is the more likely reality.

I will point out that it is very difficult and slow for a single individual to fire and reload the magazine while the fm is slung and you are standing. Just lining up the charger into the magazine, then ensuring the charger is pushed all the way so all the rounds are loaded isn't a snap when you are holding the weapon. This isn't a BAR or BREN where you yank out the empty magazine and toss, then merely slap a new mag in. You are possibly talking minutes to reload, especially if under pressure.

If you want, I can describe the issues with the gunner trying to reload the weapon by himself when firing from the bipod. It can be done, but it takes far more time than you think. I can describe the issues when reloading using a sling.

I have seen videos of people standing and holding a M2 50cal MG while firing. Does that mean you can fire a M2 from the hip?

So yes, it is possible. Is it something that can/will be done by everyone under all conditions? No. The weapon wasn't designed to do it.

Hi Jeff,
That's a fair enough assessment, I was just asking out of genuine curiosity, to query whether such a thing was ever attempted with a Breda 30, the way it was with other similarly awkward LMGs during the war. Certainly, if you have the time to share your experiences with loading and firing a Breda solo and/or from the sling, I'd love to hear them. It's always great to get more practical knowledge about these things from folks who've got some experience with them.

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I searched from some videos of loading and firing a Breda 30. This one is pretty good.

Note how the gunner must get up and over the Breda to reach the magazine. That is because the trigger/pistol grip is far from the magazine. Compare that distance to a BAR and BREN where the trigger/pistol grip is close to the magazine. If the gunner has the butt of Breda against his shoulder, he can't easily work the magazine. It is a stretch. The gunner must remove the gun butt from his shoulder and then lean forward over the weapon to get close enough to work the magazine. The man in the video isn't under fire, yet has some issue in inserting the charger. A second man to load the magazine is much simpler and effective.

Also note the location of the ejection port. The gunner's arm would be across that opening when you hold the weapon as if firing from the hip.

Pista! Jeff

kolja

Hi Jeff, thanks for the video. Only two replies from myself to what you said there:
If the gunner has the butt of Breda against his shoulder, he can't easily work the magazine. It is a stretch. The gunner must remove the gun butt from his shoulder and then lean forward over the weapon to get close enough to work the magazine.

When hip-firing a weapon, you don't typically have the gun extending as far out from your body as when you are shouldering the stock. An ideal position for hip-firing is to have your trigger-hand (and the part of the gun it's gripping) tucked in closer to your waist, with the butt-stock extending back under your arm.

As a rough example, look how this Canadian soldier holds his Bren. The length of the gun is closer in to his own body than if he was shouldering the weapon like the man in your video was: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/A...atrs7K2RhXzhA-oA5lRJfB-fi9yYUCLdcvnVNAQ=s1200

But yes, overall you'd still have a longer reach on a Breda, even if holding the gun closer in, than with something like a Bren. Fair point.

Also note the location of the ejection port. The gunner's arm would be across that opening when you hold the weapon as if firing from the hip.

Hip-firing left-handed could solve that issue. Although the position of the magazine sticking out the right side of the gun might be something you'd have to negotiate with your supporting arm. I think reloading would be quite awkward from a standing left-handed position though...
Either that or hip-fire right-handed, wear thick long-sleeves, and just grit your teeth as brass spits into your supporting arm.

In any case, as you say, it certainly doesn't look like an easy gun to fire from any kind of self-supported position. Possible? Perhaps. Practical? I'm inclined to agree not.

I'd still be curious to hear whether there are any historical accounts of it being tried though...

Last edited: