• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Wolseley to Italian pith helmet tutorial

Gian

Some years ago, someone had posted a tutorial to convert a repro Wolseley helmet into a proper Italian pith helmet. It has now disappeared. Is it possible to post it again for the benefit of re-enactors? Thanks.

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Ciao Gian. I have seen multiple searches for that post and have tried to recover it via the archives. Unfortunately, I could not find it there either. Hopefully someone can assist you.

Gian

I have looked at pics of the two types for some time and I noticed the following elements that can be used as tips for a conversion:

the dome of a Wolseley is covered in cloth; whereas an Italian pith helmet's dome is not (and is painted tan).
A Wolseley has a lighter shade of khaki while an Italian one is darker.
An Italian pith helmet has a right-side pocket to accommodate feathers, while the Wolseley doesn't.
Finally, an Italian one has a rounder brim in the rear, whereas the British sun helmet has more corners.

Now let's see what else can be added to these.

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
The Italian casco is cloth covered. The original video was done by Neal who is a member of Mediterraneo. I was hoping the video was on their website, but alas it is not.

The conversion isn't much. A trimming of the brim to better reflect the shape of an Italian casco, staining of the cloth for a better color, fitting a side pouch, and fitting an Italian vent to the top of the helmet. In all, not a very good conversion as the basic shape of the Wolseley is different from a casco.

But better than nothing.

Pista! Jeff

Attachments

• Casco-comparsion-2.jpg
    Casco-comparsion-2.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 795
  • Casco-comparsion-1.jpg
    Casco-comparsion-1.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 901