• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

WW2 Italian Field Artillery Regiment Organization

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Surprisingly correct. I hadn't noticed that before (or I had forgotten it).

Slavomir

Maurizio and Jeff,
The files come from NARA (T-821, Roll 35). It covers different types of units designed for service in the A.S., including artillery.
I assume that it provides TO&E type of data
Yes, you are right. Here is the summary for the artillery regiment:
Rgt art.jpg

No it can't be of the 1940 type ... it refers to three groups all mechanically driven therefore I would refer it more to an AS 42 .... anyway... for me....
All the best
Maurizio

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Francoquarter, Maurizio

I do assume that these are the TO&E docs for the divisioni tipo A.S. (1940). The tipo A.S. 42 Formazioni Provvisorie is found in Roll 21.

Slavomir

Can you list which types of units are included in the files? I am considering ordering this roll from NARA. The record guide doesn't state that Roll 35 has these docs. It does mention Dotazioni di mobilitazione documents, so the catalogers likely included this doc into that subgrouping. Roll 36 is listed as having more of the same types of records .

Pista! Jeff

T821Guide_I.jpg

Last edited:

Slavomir

Maurizio,
Unless the file were put there by mistake by someone in Ufficio Ordinamento e Mobilitazione, I would argue that it is AS40 as I have taken it from May 1940 document:
Front Cover.jpg

Sorry Jeff where did you get that detailed list of Rolls NARA??? I have the more generic one....
And indeed the table refers to AS type 40 divisions.....
All the best
Maurizio

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Maurizio

I was fortunate to find Parts I and II of the guides. I am still looking for Part III. These are the Italian Records versions of the similar guides for the German records. They should be microfilmed somewhere at NARA, but I have never been able to them track down in the NARA catalog.

I previously mentioned them here https://comandosupremo.com/forums/index.php?threads/nara-records.1144/

Pista! Jeff

Francoquarter

I know that the table posted by Slavomir are AS40 and sure not AS42 because of the MG, the MG in the artillery when down in the AS42 organization.
Maybe my ask was not clear i was ask for a table like that for the full division AS40, not just that i/we had from some book with weapons listed for the full division and not for each rgt/unit in the division

Slavomir

It does mention Dotazioni di mobilitazione documents
You are right, that how this portion was called:
Roll 35.jpg
Unfortunately, I don't have the full roll. I was going one by one through those that looked interesting to me.
The other doc from that roll that I was going through are: Formazioni ed Organici di Guerra for CCNN from April 1940.

Last edited:

Slavomir

Roll 36 is listed as having more of the same types of records
Don't have the files listed, but in my notes, I marked Roll 36 as "seen", but no copies. Apparently, nothing interesting, for me at least. Maybe something from 1942 - 1943? Cannot recall...

Regards

Slawomir

Last edited:

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Maurizio

Hunting used bookstores.

Pista! Jeff