• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

XVII Btg Carri (M) Centauro

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:52 AM by david

Does anyone know where the XVII Btg carri (m) arrived in North Africa?

I would assume either Tripoli or Tunis.

Thanks.

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:59 AM by diciassette2000

Thanks.

17.o battaglione carri M14/41
Raised 20/12/1941 (31.o reggimento carristi). Tripoli (AS) 31/8/1942.

All the best
Maurizio

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:04 PM

All the best
Maurizio

Thanks for that.

I was surprised to see August. I thought that it was with Centauro and that November was more likely?

Kind Regards,
David.

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:06 PM by diciassette2000

Thanks for that.

I was surprised to see August. I thought that it was with Centauro and that November was more likely?

Kind Regards,
David.

In effect only Hq and 1.a compagnia went in AS at this date and during the Libia retreat to Tunisia it fought in Raggruppamento Ariete/Raggruppamento Cantaluppi...the others tanks went in AS/Tunisia trought december 1942 (no date know) and the others tankers went to Tunisia in January/February 1943 from Corsica... The 17.o battaglione carri not fought with Centauro Division since 1943 in Tunisia.
All the best
Maurizio

Kustosz2137

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:52 AM by david

Thanks.

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:59 AM by diciassette2000

All the best
Maurizio

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:04 PM

Thanks for that.

Kind Regards,
David.

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:06 PM by diciassette2000

In effect only Hq and 1.a compagnia went in AS at this date and during the Libia retreat to Tunisia it fought in Raggruppamento Ariete/Raggruppamento Cantaluppi...the others tanks went in AS/Tunisia trought december 1942 (no date know) and the others tankers went to Tunisia in January/February 1943 from Corsica... The 17.o battaglione carri not fought with Centauro Division since 1943 in Tunisia.
All the best
Maurizio
What was the Raggruppamento Cantaluppi? Do we know it's OOB?

Col. Gaetano Cantaluppi (int.) was the last Ariete Division commander to take command of what remained of the Division plus the remnants of the Littorio and other Army Corps units during the long retreat of Axis units towards Tunisia after the defeat of El Alamein. However, it was a provisional unit that remained in place until the 1st battle of Mareth in Tunisia and changed its organizational structure almost continuously without assuming a defined organic structure, therefore it is very difficult to reconstruct its OOB without defining a reference date...
All the best
Maurizio