• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Recent content by Frollo

1. F

Article on La Maddalena

It's "La Maddalena", without "i". (I see you repeated it all three times, so I think it's not a typo).
  2. F

Upcoming film about Salvatore Todaro

Yet Parona, an admiral known for his severity and an implacable critic of commanders who failed him (see the Mellina affair), thought he was suited enough for his role that he left him in command for another four patrols. Todaro was far from being the only Italian submarine commander that...
  3. F

Jesus Christ, you are actually saying that Todaro was an idiot for helping out survivors. And completely manipulating his subsequent history to fit your misguided judgment - the man was not relieved from command, as you'd know if you spent more time actually researching what you say. He kept...
  4. F

I strongly disagree. Nobody ever watches 1950s films except the most famous ones, and I'd be surprised if 1 % of the current Italian public has ever seen La grande speranza during their lives. It's like saying that Letters from Iwo Jima or Flags of Our Fathers were redundant because there were...
  5. F

I have recently found out that a movie about Salvatore Todaro is in the making: https://www.mymovies.it/film/2022/il-comandante/ https://filmitalia.org/it/film/148722/...
  6. F

General Alberto Ferrero

Does anyone know what exactly happened to General Alberto Ferrero, commander of the XXIII Corps, after the armistice? I know that he allowed the Germans to seize Trieste without any serious resistance and relocated his headquarters first to Cervignano, then to San Donà di Piave, but then? Did he...
  7. F

Memoirs in English?

If it is the translation of La strada del davai it is a collection of memoirs, extremely interesting for the description of the captivity of ARMIR soldiers (the part about the deployment and fighting before the capture is usually rather concise in most accounts).
  8. F

Published diaries, letters and contemporary oral testomonies by Italian generals or admirals

Yes, Osti Guerrazzi's book is a little gem. Besides Messe, it features Paolo Berardi, Taddeo Orlando, Giuseppe Mancinelli, pretty much the entire staff of the Italian First Army in Tunisia, Admirals Gino Pavesi (Pantelleria) and Priamo Leonardi (Augusta), and General Gino Ficalbi (Sicily)...
  9. F

International post-war use of Italian small-arms?

As I recall the first of the three photos was from the Libyan Civil War of 2011.
  10. F

Greek naval operations in the Adriatic

I am using "Navi mercantili perdute", albeit other sources exist, for instance www.wrecksite.eu will give you information about a vessel's fate if you type in their name. I checked for 23 February and there is no ship sunk on that date (nor in the previous or following days, anywhere near the...
  11. F

That's right. It would have been so easy, for instance, to check the real fate of Liguria (disabled by torpedo bombers in Tobruk in July 1940, scuttled in Jan 41) and Lombardia (sunk by Allied air raid in Naples in 1943) - even an Internet search would have sufficed, literally five minutes -...
  12. F

Carr's book is fairly disappointing in the naval part. He takes Greek claims at face value, such as crediting them the sinking of vessels they did not sink or that never existed at all. All of which could have been easily avoided by just bothering to take a passing look at some basic Italian...
  13. F

Luogotenente generale Francesco Antonelli

Hello 1089maul, I know generals.dk and his date of birth, I was looking for the date of death...
  14. F

Luogotenente generale Francesco Antonelli

Does anyone know the date (or at least year) and place of his death?
  15. F

Photos of Generals

Thank you.