• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Recent content by Hardrada55

1. H

65a Divisione Fanteria Granatieri di Savoia

You are correct about me not citing sources. I have gotten careless and will do better and remember to note my sources and refer to them in my posts. I have notes from sources I've looked at recently on the net. Give me a little time and I will find and provide the sources I read. Until I...
  2. H

I found I Granatieri di Sardegna. Thank you. Granatieri di Sardegna also says, (via machine translation) the Granatieri were raised..."on two Regiments each on three Grenadier Battalions and an accompanying Battery as well as a depot; and was made to flow into East Africa". Significantly I...
  3. H

So much information is incomplete or contradictory....This blurb from a 1941 Hawaiian newspaper is obviously wrong because DK says he wound up a prisoner of the Germans.
  4. H

Here are some pictures I've gleaned from the internet about the 1 Btg of 10th Regiment in Shanghai in 1938. The newspaper article is especially informative.
  5. H

You are correct. I am doing a bad job of communicating. I should have said "I have never seen anything in print or online about whether the 11th Regiment ever had three Granateri battalions. If it did, when did 11th Regiment go from three Granateri battalions to two Granateri battalions?" Sorry
  6. H

No. The only thing I had come upon was in reference to the 10th Regiment Granateri. I have never seen anything about the 11th Regiment Granateri and whether it had three Battalions. When did 11th Regiment go from three battalions to two battalions? The same time as 10th Regiment?
  7. H

In late 1938 or early 1939, the 10º rgt gra. disbanded its I btg. and replaced it with the btg. alp. "Uork Amba". Did the 11º rgt. gra. ever have three battaglione of Granatieri like the 10º rgt gra.? Did 11º rgt. gra. lose one of the battalions of Granatieri similarly to the 10º rgt gra. or...
  8. H

I think it's interesting that 65a Granateri di Savoia was activated in 1936, two years before the Pariani order, with a Brigade Command headquarters and only two regiments instead of three like all the other Fanteria Divisione. I thought all the 1936 divisions had machine gun battalions as the...
  9. H

Thank you for the insights Maurizio and Jeff. I found an article recently published by Bastian Matteo Scianna very interesting. "Losing an Empire: Fascist Italy's Defeat on the Horn of Africa..." All of this is just my flawed understanding. The 65a supposedly underwent reorganization...
  10. H

Thank you, that's interesting about the origin of the 10th and 11th regiments. I read somewhere that the 350 Grenadiers at the defense of Massawa in 1941 were from the 11th Regiment's training battalion. The picture is supposed to be of the ceremony activating the 10th Regiment at Modena in 1936.
  11. H

The 65a Granatieri di Savoia Divisione Fanteria was activated on October 6, 1936 in Italy. Were the original Grenadiers transferred to the 65th from the Granatieri di Sardegna regiments? What was the relationship (if any) between the Granatieri di Savoia and the Granatieri di Sardegna?
  12. H

I am a little perplexed by the organization of the 65a Divisione Fanteria Granatieri di Savoia and the sub-units of which it was composed. Please correct any misunderstandings I may have and if you have information about the Granatieri di Savoia Division please share it with me. I have seen...
  13. H

Weird M11/39 markings

24 M11/39 tanks in AOI. Two companies of 12 M11/39 tanks each. Each company has 4 platoons. Three tanks per platoon.
  14. H

Bersaglieri and Alpini OOB at Keren

So am I understanding correctly, a command company, three rifle companies and a machine gun company? Didn't the Alpini Uork Amba have an 81mm platoon? Did the Bersaglieri at Keren have an 81mm mortars?
  15. H

Askari Battalion Organisation?

Hey Doug, My copy of "Mare Nostrum" by Jack Green (1990) says three rifle companies and one machine gun company. I see notations from years ago saying 6 light MGs per rifle company (I wonder what kind of LMG?) and 6 medium MGs for the machine gun company. (Probably Schwarzlose M07/12s captured...