• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Differences in trousers

Ironmaiden2000

So I know that there are multiple trousers used, but i am confused about the 1935 model that sort of resemble regular trousers. I have seen pictures of mostly the MAS wearing what looks like them but what would regulate appearance. More so I am asking because I want to know what a blackshirt in the ARMIR would wear. If I remember correctly the MVSN had a black stripe along their trousers

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I am not sure what you are asking but here is my best try. I am not an expert on the MVSN uniforms, so hopefully others will add to the thread.

The long khaki pants were developed and issued for the Ethiopian campaign. They weren't regular issue. The pantaloni M41 were developed for the paracadutisti and adopted by the sciatori alpini. These were modeled on the Ethiopia design but were never general issue during WW2. They were widely used by the RSI units.

The few pictures I have looked at of the MVSN in Russia show them wearing the standard M40 pantaloni. The regulations state the black stripe, but again pictures should tell the story. if the MVSN units were drawing from army stores, the stripe wouldn't be present.

Pista! Jeff

Ironmaiden2000

I am not sure what you are asking but here is my best try. I am not an expert on the MVSN uniforms, so hopefully others will add to the thread.

The long khaki pants were developed and issued for the Ethiopian campaign. They weren't regular issue. The pantaloni M41 were developed for the paracadutisti and adopted by the sciatori alpini. These were modeled on the Ethiopia design but were never general issue during WW2. They were widely used by the RSI units.

The few pictures I have looked at of the MVSN in Russia show them wearing the standard M40 pantaloni. The regulations state the black stripe, but again pictures should tell the story. if the MVSN units were drawing from army stores, the stripe wouldn't be present.

Pista! Jeff
Sorry its not super clear I just get confused about certain issues, if i am trying to show a accurate representation I do not know which item I would have to purchase from this site https://lostiledeglieroi.it/collections/regio-esercito-uniformi-seconda-guerra-mondiale?page=1

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I am leery about saying a reproduction is good or bad. The only maker of Italian reproduction uniforms that I have been comfortable in recommending is Equipe Sartoria. The main problem is the right color wool, followed by the correct cut.

Okay, the pantaloni you posted. I am almost 98% sure those are Hiki M35s. Compare the ones on Eroi site to the M35s on Hiki. Note how the front buttons are tan, while the rear button is green. That combination is the same on both sites. Note that the button colors are wrong. I also con[pared the M41 giacca and both have the same big, ugly belt buckle. Many sellers of reproduction Italian uniforms retail Hiki items.

Bottomline, if you decide to buy, you might wish to order from Hiki. Cheaper. However a warning at the end.

Pattern has errors. I am looking at pictures of originals from several different sources. Only two waist buttons, not three. The slash pockets opening should be vertical along the side seam, not horizontal across the front.

Okay the reality. If for reenacting, get the color right and wear puttees, and 99% of the people won't know whether they are correct or not. The errors I mentioned will be covered by the giubba/giacca. In looking at the other items on the Eroi website, what they call PANTALONE TRUPPA MODELLO 1940 LUNGO ALLA ZUAVA REGIO ESERCITO ITALIANO look better (I have no idea what the alla Zouave implies). The question would be how they look with puttees.

The warning. The wool color has been hit or miss. Early Hiki was pretty good, but I have read people's complaints about the color in the past 7-10 years. If you are on Face Book, look up a group called Mediterraneao. They are a reenactment group in the UK. They have considerably more recent experience in sourcing reproduction uniforms than I.

Pista! Jeff