• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

355 infantry regiment in jugoslavia

Oasis

Any notice about the 355th infantry regiment of the italian army dislocated on 8th sept 1943 at Monte Nanos near Postumia?
Thanks

Toni

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I can't find any information on a 355º rgt. f.

Source?

Pista! Jeff

Oasis

I found it in an information left by an italian soldier who left Jugoslavia on 9 september 1943 when he was with 355.i.R. in Monte Nanos near Postumia (so he reported, but maybe the number of regiment is wrong???).

Toni

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I have found one mention of a 355º rgt. f. It is in Le Unita' Ausiliarie dell'Esercito Italiano nella Guerra di Liberazione, p.204. Here it states that the regiment was part of the d.f. «Calabria» on Sardegna. This was 1 January 1944, so the regiment was either on Sardegna or Corsica (the Italian units on Corsica were transferred to Sardegna after the island was cleared of German forces). The problem is I can't trace the 355º in any source that discusses the garrisons of those two islands prior to the armistice. No source states that the regiment was ever assigned to the the «Calabria».

The other issue is that Sardegna is exactly opposite of Yugoslavia. I don't see how a regiment that was transiting back to Italy from Yugoslavia after the armistice would end up on Sardegna. The regiment would have been in northern Italy, disarmed and the soldiers imprisoned by the Germans.

Pista! Jeff

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
After some additional checking, I believe the entry in Le Unita' Ausiliarie dell'Esercito Italiano nella Guerra di Liberazione is incorrect. The 359º rgt. f. «Calabria» was formed on 1 November 1943 as part of the division and remained with the division until the end of the war. Source is L'Esercito Italian verso il 2000, volume 2, tomo I p.468.

The story told of the soldier that was posted on AHF places the unit in the 8ª Armata area of responsibility (specifically the XXIII Cd'A area). I can't find any unit in that army that comes close to a designation of 355º. The map and discussion indicate that this might have been in the G.a.F. XXV or XXVI settori, but a check of G.a.F. units is a dead end.

Pista! Jeff

We are really sure that it is not the 255th regiment of the Veneto division which had become part of the Turin division which was at the time in the Caccia area (Postomia) part of the 24th Army Corps.... well?? ? Perhaps????
All the best
Maurizio

Oasis

We are really sure that it is not the 255th regiment of the Veneto division which had become part of the Turin division which was at the time in the Caccia area (Postomia) part of the 24th Army Corps.... well?? ? Perhaps????
All the best
Maurizio
I suppose I did not thank you.
All the best
Toni