• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Looking to research a Piastrino

MedalMan90

Hi all! Trying to research a military ID plate I recently obtained.

name: Bettocchi Giovanni

military district: 6

ID No.: 16784

Fathers name: Dino Giovanni

Mothers name: Anni E Calancchi Letizia

Classe: 1920

Bolongna

there must be some online databases where he is listed. Perhaps a site that records POW Status or Enlistment Records.

Kind regards,

MM

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Good day MedalMan90

There are no good websites to track an individual Italian soldier.

Enlistment records are now held by the state archive of the province in which the individual was born. Family members can receive a copy of the individual's service record (foglio matricolare). There isn a thread discussing that option. https://comandosupremo.com/forums/i...tain-italian-personnel-records.910/#post-5055

Military District 6 was Bologna, so any records would be held in that archive.

As you are a third party, I am unsure whether you can obtain his records.

There are POW sources online, but I don't believe there is a master list. That is of course, assuming the individual was a POW. If he was, was he held by the UK, US, Germany, France, etc.

Not much help I am afraid.

Pista! Jeff

MedalMan90

There are POW sources online, but I don't believe there is a master list. That is of course, assuming the individual was a POW. If he was, was he held by the UK, US, Germany, France, etc.
Understood. Can you share some of the links to the POW sites? Or even the site for the fallen soldiers?

regards,

MM

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I delayed answering in the hope that someone with experience in this type of research would respond. I can't offer much as seeking POW records is something I don't normally do.

Google 'WW2 POW records' and there are quite a few hits. Give them a try.

Pista! Jeff