• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

Nicknames at War

Hi everyone

I'm working on a novel set in North Africa in 1942, where most of the characters are Italian soldiers.

I have no trouble with names, but nicknames are more tricky and I really need the advice of some native Italian speakers..... also someone who knows something about this period of history.

Any ideas for nicknames would be appreciated (there are seven main Italian characters, all provate soldiers, except one corporal, one captain and a sergeant ).

However one in particular is causing a problem. I have an unpopular Corporal called Bazzoli, who is a very up-tight kind of facist and obsessed with his gun, which he is constantly cleaning. He is also someone who grovels to his superior officers.

Any ideas gratefully received and credit will be given!!

Curious

Francoquarter

idk, but look strange the use of nicknames in the army, i did the service in peacetime, obviously, but all were called by surname, also if there was people with the same surname

Hi everyone

I'm working on a novel set in North Africa in 1942, where most of the characters are Italian soldiers.

I have no trouble with names, but nicknames are more tricky and I really need the advice of some native Italian speakers..... also someone who knows something about this period of history.

Any ideas for nicknames would be appreciated (there are seven main Italian characters, all provate soldiers, except one corporal, one captain and a sergeant ).

However one in particular is causing a problem. I have an unpopular Corporal called Bazzoli, who is a very up-tight kind of facist and obsessed with his gun, which he is constantly cleaning. He is also someone who grovels to his superior officers.

Any ideas gratefully http://essaypapers.reviews/ received and credit will be given!!

Curious
  1. Corporal Bazzoli:
    • "Spazzola" (meaning "brush") - This nickname could play on the fact that he is constantly cleaning his gun, comparing him to a brush.
    • "Fascetta" (meaning "band") - A play on his fascist tendencies, referencing the bands worn by fascists during that period.
  2. Captain:
    • "Il Leone" (meaning "The Lion") - This nickname could symbolize his authoritative presence and leadership qualities.
    • "Vecchio Lupo" (meaning "Old Wolf") - A nickname that conveys experience, cunning, and respect.
  3. Sergeant:
    • "Occhio di Falco" (meaning "Hawkeye") - This nickname could highlight his keen observation skills and attention to detail.
    • "Il Martello" (meaning "The Hammer") - A nickname that implies his strictness and firmness in discipline.