• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

18° Reggimento Bersaglieri corazzato

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Posted 22 January 2005 by sabre

Greetings Troops - :)

Can someone explain what 18° Reggimento Bersaglieri corazzato

Thanks, in advance -

------------

Posted 23 January 2005 by Veltro

18th Armoured Bersaglieri regiment.

Best Regards from the east !

Eddy

-------------

Posted 23 January 2005 by Sabre

:) Thanks Eddy !!

Would you, by chance, know which of these two was the:

IV Gruppo Sq. Corazzato ........ >

? "Nizza", or
? "Monferrato"

Best regards from "God's Country" - :lol:

-----------

Posted 23 January 2005 by Lupo Solitario

Sabre said:
:) Thanks Eddy !!

Would you, by chance, know which of these two was the:

IV Gruppo Sq. Corazzato ........ >

? "Nizza", or
? "Monferrato"

Best regards from "God's Country" - :lol:

Sigh, either: there was a IV Nizza and a IV Monferrato...

bye King

Lupo

-----------

Posted 23 January 2005 by Sabre

:) Greetings Lord Lupo, Prince of the House of Cranston - :)

So there WAS both a IV "Nizza" and a IV "Monferrato" (circa: July 1943 - IX Armata - Albania)??

What was the "Cav. reg. Monferrato" that also, according to Enrico, was serving with IX Armata at this time?

And, was there a "Cav. reg. Firenze" as WELL as the 41 (Ital) Inf. Div.“Firenze”, or, was it just a part of the parent division?

I'm rather confused. - :cry:

Thanks for your help, as always, my friend -

J.

---------

Posted 23 January 2005 by Lupo Solitario

Uhmmm, I believe we need an explanation

First: we 're speaking about cavalry units

At the start of WWII, Italian cavalry was formed by 12 regiments each formed by 2 mounted battalions. Each regiment had a number and a name (ie 1st regiment "Nizza Cavalry"). Mounted battalions beared numbers I and II.

Going on war, regimental depots formed new battalions which were still part of the regiment but with growing numbers, III, IV....While original battalions were mounted new ones could be foot, motorized, armored, etc...

As a short form, the IV Battalion (in italian Gruppo Squadroni) of 1st Regiment "Nizza Cavalry" became the IV "Nizza" battalion.

It's important to tell that "additional" battalion could have a totally different doom from their "original" regiment. As a classical example, while the 5th (mounted) regiment "Novara Lancers" fought in Russia in 1942, its III (armored) battalion was the recon unit of Littorio division in NA.

So the units we're speaking about are the short form of IV/1st "Nizza Cavalry" battalion and IV/13th "Monferrato Light Horse" battalion, either armored. Unfortunately, I'm not so learned about those units.

So we have that, at a time, there was in Albania in summer 1943, either the 13th "Monferrato Light Horse" (mounted) regiment either the IV battalion (armored) of same regiment...it was largely a coincidence.

Late, there was no relation between the 9th "Firenze Lancers" regiment and the 41st Infantry Division "Firenze"...Simply they were in same place at same time...

Hoping having been clear

at your dispo

Lupo

------------

Posted 23 January 2005 by Veltro

G'day Saber, FYI the Nizza Battalion is mentioned (he liked & appeared to respect them) by Von Luck in his book "Panzer Commander".

Eddy