• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to webmaster@comandosupremo.com if interested!

C.A.I. use of Flugplatz Coxide

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
An individual on the WW2 Talk forum is researching the Flugplatz Coxide in Belgium. He stated that the C.A.I. used the airfield as a auxiliary base. I provided the information found in the R.A. official and Courage Alone, but the sources don't match. I was wondering if any of our R.A. experts can added anything. If you have information to share but don't don't wish to post on WW2 Talk, post it here and I will copy over.

Pista! Jeff

Coxide discussion

1089maul

Evening Jeff. I have had a good look at my Regia Aeronautica books and had come up with nothing. Mention is made of other fields used for emergency landings but are not named. I had just given up when I had another look at Peter Haining’s Chianti Raider’s book and found the below. I don’t have the book cited so can’t expand on what is show. I hope this is useful for the other forum. Regards, Bob

Attachments

• IMG_2653.jpeg
    IMG_2653.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 106

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Bob. Yes I see that the author doesn't cite his source. Your finger is covering the page number in the Chianti book, but that isn't a problem.

What is interesting is that the R.A, official states that the commander of the 172ª R.S.T. was Giovanni Vassallo, while this book states it is Ernesto Vassallo. The wording makes it appear that Ernesto wasn't the commander, but it would be unusual that two serving officers in the same squadriglia were Vassallo.

Thanks again!

Pista! Jeff

Last edited:

1089maul

Jeff, Page 96. The author does mention that the extract is from a book called Coastal Blitz (1992) . Agreed that the names of the CO’s is questionable. Will check the OOB and get back to you if I learn anything. Bob

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Bob

Are you sure about the book Coastal Blitz? I have found that book by David Rowland, but the only publication date is 2000 and 2001. Worldcat doesn't list any book with that title as published in 1992.

Pista! Jeff

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Duh, the mention of Coastal Blitz is in the page you uploaded. I didn't find any book by Julian Foynes by that name or date, but there is Battle of the East Coast (1939-1945) published in 1994 by Foynes.

1089maul

Jeff, yes to the above. The book is available but I have no idea how detailed it is. All I can find is that the Coxyde airfield was used by Cant Z1007 reconnaissance aircraft during Operation Cinzano. Can’t find anything else. I will leave it to the member of the other forum to look into it further if he or she wishes to. Regards, Bob

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you Bob.

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you Dili. I have that information and previously shared it in the thread.

Pista! Jeff