• As some of you know, the old forum database was deleted by the previous administrator. I am attempting to paste any retrievable discussions back into this forum using the internet archive. It won't look pretty - but at least we can preserve some valuable information. Feel free to add to the discussions as these old posts are restored.

Does "Complessi" define any kind of Unit?

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Posted 25 April 2008 by Dili

If so what kind? a Battery?

This came up from this file Regio Esercito - Artiglieria - Situazione al 10 giugno 1940.htm (from excelent RegioEsercito.it site)

At war start:

76 complessi da 20 mod. 39

I know that 20mm mod39 was the usual 20mm Breda with a mount for mostly static employments with a more elaborate sighting device. Now the term "complessi" or Complex is usually employed in Soviet/Russian military literature and means a system of arms and sometimes different ones that work integrated, so my question is what complessi means in this situation, 4 guns with a common control device? or just the gun with the elaborate sighting is enough to be called "complessi"?

--------------

Posted 25 April 2008 by Lupo Solitario

In this case a "complesso" is simply a weapon with connected stuff

----------------

Posted 26 April 2008 by Dili

Thanks. I suspected that but had to ask since the number seems a very low quantity.